PSOC4 + LIN

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everybody,

Another difficult question...

Does the PSOC4 support LIN bus? PSOC Creator does not have the LIN component for the PSOC4 device, but the datasheet states:

When you add a UART object then you can select between IrDA and Smartcard, but there is no LIN either.

PSOC5/PSOC5LP has a very nice LIN component with a packet builder. Will this be implemented for the PSOC4?

Thank you,
Errol.

This is a full-feature UART operating at up to 1 Mbps. It supports automotive single-wire interface (LIN), infrared interface (IrDA), and SmartCard (ISO7816) protocols, all of which are minor variants of the basic UART protocol.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The post editor totally mangled my previous post. The last line is the quote from the datasheet...

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

I'm looking at the PSoC4 4200 data sheet (http://www.cypress.com/?docID=43142 ), and it says the serial block supports

• UART
  •     
  • I2C
  •     
  • SPI
  •    

but no LIN. Where did you get this statement from?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi hli,

It is in the same document you have. LIN is a sub protocol of UART. On page 7, top right, there is a section about UART Mode. That is where I copied from.

UART Mode: This is a full-feature UART operating at up to 1 Mbps. It supports automotive single-wire interface (LIN), infrared interface (IrDA), and SmartCard (ISO7816) protocols, all of which are minor variants of the basic UART protocol. In addition, it supports the 9-bit multiprocessor mode that allows addressing of peripherals connected over common RX and TX lines. Common UART functions such as parity error, break detect, and frame error are supported. An 8-deep FIFO allows much greater CPU service latencies to be tolerated. Note that hardware handshaking is not supported. This is not commonly used and can be implemented with a UDB-based UART in the system, if required.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked
        Errol, I'm afraid you'll have to write your owm protocol for LIN which is not too difficult (peep into the PSoC5 sources) Bob (Again a "small window")   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sort of defeats the purpose.

I wanted to move my employer's designs from PIC18 to PSOC4 as there is a better price match, and I wanted to use the nice LIN Drag & Drop features as a selling point.

If I have to write the LIN drivers myself, just like for the PIC18, then my boss will not budge.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

LIN is supported by the PSoC4 device. But, the feature is not available in Creatore now. Hope the UART-LIN component will be available in the next revision of Creator.

0 Likes