Unable to program PSoC1 device on CY8CKIT-001

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I cant burn the code I develop in Desinger5.3. I'm using CY8CKIT-001 and MiniProg3 that comes with it. I have placed the correct processor module too (CY8CKIT-020). My programmer window shows "Device flash size does not match HEX file" . My code is a simpleton to toggle an LED as a test to whether the board gets programmed or not. What could have went wrong ?? RAM   
0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
        It is not just CY8C28000 that would be missing in the "Device Catalog" in PSoC Designer(ie, when you are trying to choose a "Target Device" while creating a new project in Designer). None of the OCD(On chip debugger) parts such as CY8C29000, CY8C27002 would be available in the Device Catalog. The reason is these parts are OCD parts for a family of PSoC1 devices (eg: CY8C28000 is the OCD part for CY8C28 family of PSoC1 devices, CY8C29000 is the OCD part for CY8C29 family of PSoC1 devices and so on). The OCD parts can emulate any PSoC1 device belonging to that family(ie CY8C28000 can emulate any PSoC1 device belonging to CY8C28 family etc). Since you do not develop a PSoC Designer project for an OCD part(you only develop the project the exact PSoC1 device, such as CY8C28403-24PVXI, CY8C29466-24PXI etc), you would not find the OCD parts in the "Device Catalog" of PSoC Designer. However, once you have developed your PSoC Designer project for the exact PSoC1 device(which are going to use in your application), then you can program the project(and also debug if required) on the OCD part of that family. For more information on OCD parts and Debugging of PSoC Devices, please refer the app note AN73212 - Debugging with PSoC® 1, which is linked below: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=57555 Ramanathan, As per the above information, we believe you must be able to program the project you developed for CY8C28403 on the CY8C28000 chip(ie, the CY8C28 module you have on the CY8CKIT-001). Can you please let us know if you are using PSoC Designer or PSoC Programmer to perform the programming operation ? If you are using PSoC Programmer, then can you ensure that you have selected the right hex file(while loading the hex file in PSoC Programmer) from the folder of the PSoC Designer project that you created for the CY8C28403 device ? Or you can try programming directly from PSoC Designer(after opening the CY8C28403-based project that you have created) so you do not have to worry about making a mistake in selecting the hex file. Thanks & Regards, Prem   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

You have CY8C28000 as the device selected in project ? Or

the CY8C29xxx if using that module ? The device in project

must match the module being used. If not recompile project

with correct target device.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I don't see CY8C28000 listed when I create a new proj,,, I chose CY8C28403 and tried because PSoC programmer auto-detects it when I try programming. Even then the same error turns up 😞   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I also do not see CY8C28000-24PVXI in PSOC Designer 5.4 catalog,

I would suggest you post a CASE at -

"www.cypress.com"
"Support"
"Technical Support"
"Create a Case"

Note that is the part shown on schematic in docs on CDR for the -001 kit.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Just found this note in datasheet -

56-Pin Part Pinout

The 56-pin SSOP part is for the CY8C28000 On-Chip Debug (OCD) PSoC device.
NoteThis part is only used for in-circuit debugging. It is NOT available for production.

Looks like programmer has an error of omission.

I will post a link to this thread in designer, you do the CASE.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I found a reference on web that the CY8C28000 is a subset of the

CY8C28243-PVXI, and was able to program on a CY8CKIT-001 using

Miniprog 3.

Docs should be updated in -001 kit ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        It is not just CY8C28000 that would be missing in the "Device Catalog" in PSoC Designer(ie, when you are trying to choose a "Target Device" while creating a new project in Designer). None of the OCD(On chip debugger) parts such as CY8C29000, CY8C27002 would be available in the Device Catalog. The reason is these parts are OCD parts for a family of PSoC1 devices (eg: CY8C28000 is the OCD part for CY8C28 family of PSoC1 devices, CY8C29000 is the OCD part for CY8C29 family of PSoC1 devices and so on). The OCD parts can emulate any PSoC1 device belonging to that family(ie CY8C28000 can emulate any PSoC1 device belonging to CY8C28 family etc). Since you do not develop a PSoC Designer project for an OCD part(you only develop the project the exact PSoC1 device, such as CY8C28403-24PVXI, CY8C29466-24PXI etc), you would not find the OCD parts in the "Device Catalog" of PSoC Designer. However, once you have developed your PSoC Designer project for the exact PSoC1 device(which are going to use in your application), then you can program the project(and also debug if required) on the OCD part of that family. For more information on OCD parts and Debugging of PSoC Devices, please refer the app note AN73212 - Debugging with PSoC® 1, which is linked below: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=57555 Ramanathan, As per the above information, we believe you must be able to program the project you developed for CY8C28403 on the CY8C28000 chip(ie, the CY8C28 module you have on the CY8CKIT-001). Can you please let us know if you are using PSoC Designer or PSoC Programmer to perform the programming operation ? If you are using PSoC Programmer, then can you ensure that you have selected the right hex file(while loading the hex file in PSoC Programmer) from the folder of the PSoC Designer project that you created for the CY8C28403 device ? Or you can try programming directly from PSoC Designer(after opening the CY8C28403-based project that you have created) so you do not have to worry about making a mistake in selecting the hex file. Thanks & Regards, Prem   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Re-posting the above comment to improve readability of the post: - It is not just CY8C28000 that would be missing in the "Device Catalog" in PSoC Designer(ie, when you are trying to choose a "Target Device" while creating a new project in Designer). None of the OCD(On chip debugger) parts such as CY8C29000, CY8C27002 would be available in the Device Catalog. - The reason is these parts are OCD parts for a family of PSoC1 devices (eg: CY8C28000 is the OCD part for CY8C28 family of PSoC1 devices, CY8C29000 is the OCD part for CY8C29 family of PSoC1 devices and so on). The OCD parts can emulate any PSoC1 device belonging to that family(ie CY8C28000 can emulate any PSoC1 device belonging to CY8C28 family etc). - Since you do not develop a PSoC Designer project for an OCD part(you only develop the project the exact PSoC1 device, such as CY8C28403-24PVXI, CY8C29466-24PXI etc), you would not find the OCD parts in the "Device Catalog" of PSoC Designer. However, once you have developed your PSoC Designer project for the exact PSoC1 device(which are going to use in your application), then you can program the project(and also debug if required) on the OCD part of that family. - For more information on OCD parts and Debugging of PSoC Devices, please refer the app note AN73212 - Debugging with PSoC® 1, which is linked below: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=57555 @ Ramanathan, As per the above information, we believe you must be able to program the project you developed for CY8C28403 on the CY8C28000 chip(ie, the CY8C28 module you have on the CY8CKIT-001). Can you please let us know if you are using PSoC Designer or PSoC Programmer to perform the programming operation ? - If you are using PSoC Programmer, then can you ensure that you have selected the right hex file(while loading the hex file in PSoC Programmer) from the folder of the PSoC Designer project that you created for the CY8C28403 device ? - Or you can try programming directly from PSoC Designer(after opening the CY8C28403-based project that you have created) so you do not have to worry about making a mistake in selecting the hex file. Thanks & Regards, Prem   
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I installed the latest version of Designer and now I'm able to program CY8C28000 by selecting CY8C28403 as the target device using PSoC Programmer. Looks like Designer5.1 doesnt support this. Thank you @Dana & @Prem for your suggestions.   
0 Likes