Miniprog3 5-pin SWD programming error.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having an issue with programming using the 5-pin SWD interface.  The image and device I am using are both "Production" revision of CY8C3866AXI-040.  I am able to program using the 10-pin connector with SWD or JTAG with no problem.  But when I use the 5-pin connector with SWD, the software detects the device as "ES1" and the image as "ES3," but both are suppose to be "Production."

Is this a software bug with the PSoC Programmer?

Program Finished at 11:54:33 AM | 

| Programming Terminated

WARNING!---> | Debug mode enabled, this should be turned off from PSoC Creator before production.

ERROR!---> | The hex file was built for silicon revision ES3, but the acquired device is revision ES1.

| Use PSoC Creator to generate a hex file for the proper device.

Device set to CY8C3866AXI-040 at 11:54:32 AM | 65536 FLASH bytes

Device Family set to CY8C38xx at 11:54:32 AM | 

| Automatically Detected Device: CY8C3866AXI-040

0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the log with auto detect off:

Program Finished at 1:25:36 PM | 

| Programming Terminated

WARNING!---> | Debug mode enabled, this should be turned off from PSoC Creator before production.

ERROR!---> | The hex file was built for silicon revision ES3, but the acquired device is revision ES1.

| Use PSoC Creator to generate a hex file for the proper device.

| JtagID: 1E 02 80 69

Program Requested at 1:25:29 PM | 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the log with 10-Pin connector:

Program Finished at 1:31:17 PM | 

| Programming Succeeded

| Doing Checksum

| Doing Protect

| Programming of Flash Succeeded...

| Programming of Flash Starting...

| Erase Succeeded

| JtagID: 1E 02 80 69

Program Requested at 1:31:11 PM | 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us understand few things to get to the root cause.

1. Which are the 5 pins used for SWD programming.
  3. Are you trying to program PSoC3 on a custom PCB or any of the cypress kit? 
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Which are the 5 pins used for SWD programming.

The device and programmer is connected as follow:
VTARG -> VDDD on the module
GND -> GND
XRES -> NC
SCLK -> P1.1
SDAT -> P1.0

PSoC Programmer setting:
Device - CY8C866AXI-040
Programming mode - Power Cycle
Connector - 5p
Clock Speed - 1.5 MHz
Protocol - SWD
Voltage - 5.0V

I understand that the 10 pin is primarily used, but my application only allow 2 additional pins other than power and ground.  The pin out is correct since PSoC Programmer detects a device. However, the software identifies the image and device revision incorrectly.  As shown in the previous post, the JTAG ID is 1E 02 80 69, which matches the ID when programming with 10 pin connector.

2. Are you trying to program PSoC3 on a custom PCB or any of the cypress kit? 

I am testing the 5 pin programming using the CY8CKIT-001 kit and the CY8C38 module.  The PSoC on the CY8C38 module have been swapped with a production device.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Addition to the previous posts, when I mention 10 pin programming, I am still using SWD protocol.  It is just through the 10 pin connector from the MiniProg3.  Sorry if I am not very clear.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two quick suggestion. From your previous post what i understand is

1. VTARG is connected to VDDD, it is recommended that VDDIO1 is connected to VTARG pin of MiniProg3. Since the SWDCK, SWDIO pins are in the quadrant that is powered by VDDIO1 pin, the voltage levels on these pins is same as that on VDDIO1. Also Miniprog3 needs to sense this voltage level and program the device accordingly.
  3. XRES terminal of Miniprog3 does not seem to be connected any pin. I would suggest you to connect  XRES terminal to XRES pin of PSoC.
  5. Programming mode is set to Power Cycle. Are you trying to power the chip and the Kit using MiniProg3. You can change the mode to Reset and modeand try programming.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, with XRES connected, it works.  But I am trying to program without XRES, because I thought XRES is not required since programming mode is entered via Power Cycle?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, with the lower pin count devices with no dedicated XRES, if configurable XRES is not configured, how would it enter programming mode?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I found the answer.  Power cycle programming is not currently supported.

http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=38592

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The latest revision of MiniProg3 device supports powercycle mode of programming. You can always buy the latest revision of MiniProg3 from the Cypress Store.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have connected PSoC 3 CY8c3446-99PVI On PCB.

I am using SWD 5 pin connector for programming.

I have connected Xres to Xres (P1_2) of psoc

SCLK to p1_0

SDAT to P1_1

I am geting message PSOC device is not acquired !

0 Likes