CY7C68013A & VB.NET - Direct Access to Pins - Ideas? Is this device not what I'm looking for?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I develop in VB.NET. but have done a little C in the past.  I purchased a CY7C68013A with the intention of accessing the pins directly to drive LEDs and such.  (Pretty lightweight stuff, I know but you have to start somewhere)

I thought "surely, I can address these pins in some fashion like a parallel port and turn them on or off to drive a LEDs and/or as a TTL passthrough to a 4x20LCD device."

So far, all I have been able to do is enumerate through the endpoints for an interface in a config.  Am I going in the right direction.  Are the endpoints the pins?

Did I buy the wrong type of device?  

Sorry for what may be stupid questions, but I am trying to learn.  Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

What you bought is an USB-device which can act as a host. The "Endpoints" you are talking about are the USB-channels (for commands and data) that make up a communication path.

Although the chip has got some pins that might ´be used to control an LED the handling of the complete system might turn out not to be as easy as you would like to see it.

I would suggest you to get a "PSoC4 Pioneer Kit" ($25 afaik)

or a PSoC5 LP Development Kit-050 ( &100 afaik)

Both kits connect to your PC via an USB interface for programming AND DEBUGGING features. Together with the software Creator 2.2 (download for free fom the Cypress website) and a bunch of example projects you will have (nearly) unlimited resources of building up your electronic and increasing your programming skills.

Welcome in the fascinating world of PSoCs!

Bob

0 Likes
MarkH_61
Employee
Employee
25 likes received 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

The CY7C68013A is a USB peripheral and it can be used to do what you want, but PSoC may be a bit more flexible and get you to where you want to be faster.  Robert Murphy has written several good app notes on connecting PSoC3 and PSoC 5LP devices to USB, but my favorite app note is AN82072.  He gives examples on how to connect PSoC devices to PC, Mac, and Unix via USB.  It is a lengthy app note, but I think you will find it is relatively easy to modify his example project to do what you want.  The other nice reason to go with PSoC, is if you do want to control a 4x20 character LCD, the is already a component that does all the busy work for you.

To get the app note, just google "Cypress AN82072".  To be fair you can probably "bing" it as well.

Mark

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, well it makes sense.  I bought these on eBay because they were dirt cheap and I really should have read up on them more.  (only saw how many pins were available for i/o... not their purpose).

All of the notes speak to sending bulk data through, and not GPIO... which is why I came here.  Based on what you are saying, since I got 2 for $12 total, I'd be better off ditching it and getting something else better designed for my purpose... as it *CAN* be done, but may prove incredibly combersome for the limited functionality I am looking for.

So, ditch these and go another route?  Is that the consensus?  

Anybody interested in a new CYC68013A and a slightly used one?  I know someone who may have 2 for sale.  🙂

0 Likes
MarkH_61
Employee
Employee
25 likes received 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

I prefer the PSoC5LP since it will do everything!  The Cypress CY8CKIT-050 is nice but it is $99.  The other good alternative is freesoc.net.  He has two 5LP boards, one for $75 and a smaller one for $50.  I personally picked up one of the $75 boards since it is hardware compatible to Arduino shields. 

Mark

0 Likes