Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ScEn_283436
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins First solution authored 100 replies posted

Hi,

I'm in the discovery phase of determining the most suitable way to have multiple PSoC 3 devices on a single USB hub, controlled by Visual Basic. NET 2010.

I have downloaded the USB Suite and am reading the documentation. The .NET Programmers Reference states that you can create a list of USB devices on the hub and can access them individually. However reading the driver documentation, it talks about the Product ID and the Vendor ID as a way to locate a particular device. If I am mass manufacturing PSoC based devices, I would've assumed that all my products would have the same Product and Vendor IDs based on what is required in the .inf file. Is this the case? This makes it sound like the library is geared towards ONE Cypress PSoC device and all the others attached to the hub as something else.

If I'm manufacturing PSoC based devices, does each individual device have to have it's own unique Product ID? If so, how would you handle doing that in production? How would you address it in the .inf file?

I would appreciate any direction to ap notes or contacts for accomplishing my objective, which is communicating with MULTIPLE PSoC 3 devices on a single USB hub using VB.NET 2010.

Thank you

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Let me make it clear. The Vendor ID is the one which you have to get it from USB-IF . The product ID is the ID which you are assigning to the device. The vendor ID and Product ID is used to identify your device. In case multiple devices of the same product(say pendrive) is attached those two will be differentiated by the USB address assigned to it by the host.   
0 Likes
ScEn_283436
Level 5
Level 5

I see. Then I should be able to have multple devices on the hub. Do you by any chance know the command in USB Suite.NET that returns the Host assigned address?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Please refer to page 138,139 of the attachment. Hope this helps.   
0 Likes
ScEn_283436
Level 5
Level 5
        Yes, Thank you. It says that the USB Address is not particularly useful, though I thought it would be a way to keep track of the devices. So the preferred method is to index into the array of devices of the USBDeviceList?   
0 Likes