PSoC 1/3/5 programmer

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I just recently discovered the PSoC chips, and I want to try it out. I found some reasonably cheap chips on ebay, and I was thinking about getting a few of them and see what I can build with them. I installed the psoc designer software, but now I am not sure how would I program the chip. I looked around, and I can't find out how are this chips programed. Do I just hook them on the usb bus? Do they use a serial input of some sort? Do I need a dedicated programmer circuit for them, or can I use something like a bus pirate? Are the psoc 1 and 3 programmed in the same way?   
0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi D101h, welcome to the PSoC world   
You would be use MiniProg1 is most suitable for your Designer,   
MiniProg1 design for PSoC1 devices.   

MiniProg3 is also available to PSoC1   
And can use for PSoC3,4,5 device.   
Can use JTAG debugger.   
the PSoC programmer using MiniProg1 and 3.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Thanks for the reply. Since I am a student I don't have a big budget, so I am looking for a cheap way to program the psoc. The MiniProg1 is 30$, which is already a bit high for me, but the MiniProg3 is 89$ which is way over of my budget. On the other hand I saw that there is a MiniProg3 clone on dangerous prototypes, and I found a very similar development board on ebay for 12$, so I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow use the CY7C68013A EZ-USB FX2LP USB2.0 Developement Board for programming the PSoC chips.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I see but FX2LP Board that maybe not available to PSoC1 device? I still recommand MiniProg1 for you, It is a safety choice, I think.   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked
        The interface is named ISSP and the specs you can find here: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2907.   

Happy coding!   
Bob   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This is a longshot, but you could try contacting Regional

Sales manager or the Field Applications Engineer to see

if they would donate a www.cypress.com/  CY3210 kit to you.

Note it is $ 40 on Cypress website, includes programming

Miniprog1.

The other issue you have is w/o a debugger you will have

to do your debug over a serial link, or use simple leds

on a port, so that you can observe variables. One of the

easier ways is to use UART link to PC, and a terminal

program on PC, several on web for free.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This might help as well -

www.cypress.com/

Also a lot of training videos -

www.cypress.com/

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

General programming info can be found here: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2543

PSOC1are programmed in a different way than the PSOC3/4/5. 

PSOC1 are programmed via ISSP while PSOC3/4/5 use SWD/JTAG

The miniprog1 can only program via ISSP so it can only be used to program PSOC1 Chips and can not do debug. Therefor I would strongly recommend against buying a miniprog1 (unless you can get a good deal on ebay or somewhere else).

The miniprog3 can do ISSP so it can program PSOC1 devices but it can also do SWD so it can program/debug PSOC3/4/5. It can also do I2C-USB bridging to tune capsense. I think that, if budget permits, Miniprog3 is the best way to start, but as you said it's cost is high.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

D101h posted on 23 Aug 2013 04:18 PM PST 
Thanks for the reply. Since I am a student I don't have a big budget, so I am looking for a cheap way to program the psoc. The MiniProg1 is 30$, which is already a bit high for me, but the MiniProg3 is 89$ which is way over of my budget. On the other hand I saw that there is a MiniProg3 clone on dangerous prototypes, and I found a very similar development board on ebay for 12$, so I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow use the CY7C68013A EZ-USB FX2LP USB2.0 Developement Board for programming the PSoC chips. 

The FX2LP programmer on Dangerousprototypes is not a miniprog3 clone, it is actually a Generic USB Programmer (-050 kit clone) as described in the psoc programming page. You can use the cheap FX2LP boards from ebay to program and debug PSOC3 and PSOC5 (I haven't tried PSOC4) but it won't program PSOC1. Keep in mind that the ebay board's IO level is fixed at 3.3V and that this voltage has to be connected to the VCCIO on your target chip. Also, the ebay boards dont have overcurrent/overvoltage or any kind of protection but observing general good practices should be enough to avoid burning any chip.

0 Likes