Driver installation of wiced smart fails. Do not why

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
xih_21
Employee
Employee
First like received

I installed WICED smart IDE and plug the wiced smart in with usb cable. but the device driver verification fails.

In device manager, i see this

other devices

Enhanced Com port

Standard Com port

Even I point out the driver location of WICED-smart, the driver can not be installed.

In my laptop, I have a couple of verisons of WICED IDE. Not sure this is an issue or not.

One verison for old wiced chip used to work. But I do not touch it for a long time.

I just installed the new version for latest wiced wifi chip,which is under development,  a few days ago.   

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

There are two boards available for WICED Smart.

1. A full deatured development kit called the BCM92073X_LE_KIT, this board requires FTDI based USB to serial drivers (available online, but also inside of the WICED Smart SDK, not the WICED Wi-FI SDK as there are 2 SDKs).

2. The WICED Sense Evaluation board.  This board uses Silicon Labs USB to Serial drivers which are avialable via a link here: WICED Sense Table of Contents

Note that you need to make sure the kit is unplugged from the USB post when you install either.  Once installed, you should be able to open device manager and see the two new drivers listed under Ports (COM&LPT) when either unit is plugged into the USB port.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
MichaelF_56

There are two boards available for WICED Smart.

1. A full deatured development kit called the BCM92073X_LE_KIT, this board requires FTDI based USB to serial drivers (available online, but also inside of the WICED Smart SDK, not the WICED Wi-FI SDK as there are 2 SDKs).

2. The WICED Sense Evaluation board.  This board uses Silicon Labs USB to Serial drivers which are avialable via a link here: WICED Sense Table of Contents

Note that you need to make sure the kit is unplugged from the USB post when you install either.  Once installed, you should be able to open device manager and see the two new drivers listed under Ports (COM&LPT) when either unit is plugged into the USB port.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

I am using wiced smart tag. The driver should be automatically installed through installing the wiced smart IDE.

How do I re-install the driver? I need to re-install the IDE? Perhaps not. Please advise.

0 Likes
MichaelF_56

The FTDI driver you need for 32-bit Windows is included within the SDK.  Take a look at \Drivers\dpinst.exe

You will need to open a DOS shell in Windows and CD\ to the file, then execute from the command line.

If the 64 bit driver is needed, go here: Virtual COM Port Drivers

0 Likes

My laptop is 32bit Windows 7 system. I follow your instruction, running dpinst.exe at cmd window.

But the COM ports are still not recognized.

I still see

Other devices

Enhanced COMP port

Standard COMP port

When I run dpinst.exe, I plug off the USB cable.

0 Likes
MichaelF_56

I see that you are a Broadcom employee.  Is the board you are using the WICED Sense EVB?  If so, then the Silicon Labs Drivers for Windows here are what you need to install: http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/CP210x_Windows.exe

The FTDI drivers are for our development board, the TAG3/BCM92073X_LE_KIT.  You would have had to purchase one of these, the WICED Sense EVBs were the ones given out to employees.

Note that the first time I installed the Silicon Labs drivers (link above), the WICED Sense kit was plugged into the USB port and the drivers did not initialize correctly, so I needed to re-boot with the Sense Kit unplugged, then plug the kit in once everything was up and running.

0 Likes

I see. I got the sense tag, which everyone in boardcom got.

I will try slab’s driver.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi xihuang,

After connecting your WICED sense tag to your machine, please use the drivers listed here.

USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers | Silicon Labs

This worked for my windows machine.

Regards,

Abhishek.

xih_21
Employee
Employee
First like received

Yes. it works for me.