CY8C29466-24PXI usb connection

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! 

I have a little problem. I am working on a PSoC1 pcb board, using the CY8C29466-24PXI chip, and i want to make a usb connection with the board. 

I've seen that other PSoC1 chips (like CY8C24794-24LFXI from the CY3214 board supports an USB connection), but i didn't seen that on CY8C29466-24PXI. 

Please help me if you know the solution of my problem, CY8C29466-24PXI's USB connection. Any other information/articles/application notes on this subject are welcomed. Thank you very much! 

Ionut Dumitru. 

0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi Dumi, I have one design for 29466+24794. Between chips, communicate with uart TTL mode. I can upload this but I'm out of home now, I will think how to do when I go home.   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

29xxx does not support USB. You can look at devices that do by picking,

in the "Recent Projects" window on Designer startup page, upper left

window, "Device Catalog" and filtering spreadsheet to USB.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        OK Dumi, What is your purpose to use this design? For in products, the best choice is PSoC3/5 that is stable, has many features of USB, and cheaper than 29466+24794 nowaday. You should be use it. Or you had 29466+24794 already and you want to take advantage of these. Which prefer? How do you want?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

the 29x66 PSOCs do not support USB. To add usb to a design you have this options

a) add another USB device (it could be a USB2UART or a psoc with USB ) and talk to it via UART, it is the easiest way to add USB support to a design, and with some solutions you don't even need to know anything about USB.

b) choose a PSOC with USB and port your project, with PSOC1 as long as the new devices has all the resources needed it's really simple to port a project.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the interest you've shown. 

I'll use a USB - UART interface called CP2103. I've seen that it works with the chip that I got. 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You may consider to use a PSoC3 or 5 which internally already contains an USBUART interface, so you might connect one side to your PC and have all the power of a PSoC ready at hand...

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        The CP21XXs where the first thing that came to my mind too. It's the most cost efective way to add USB to an already finished design. But if your design is not yet complete you might also look at the other options to save on board space and component cost.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I reopen this because I have the same problem. Looks like the best option here is to move on to PSoC 3/5. Moreover if the CP2103 takes 8 to 11 pins to work...

So my question is, how easy is to move the project from a CY8C29466-PXI to another PSoC which fully supports USB connection?? Will I have to make many changes on the main c code (which is preety long)??

Looking forard to your response to decide what to do...

Alex

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi Alex   
USB code of PSoC1 and PSoC3,5 has very similar APIs.   
It is very clear to looking through each example code.   
So, you can change it easily, Ie, use Replace All.   
If you will have any question, come again.   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

I assume you have seen these -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=34582    AN48843    USB to UART
http://www.cypress.com/?rID=34330    AN50989    USB to SPI
http://www.cypress.com/?rID=34330    AN2361     USB Charger

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

PSOC1 is quite different from PSOC3/PSOC5. Upgrading from PSOC1 is not quite easy. The Digital blocks are quite different and on psoc3/5 there are not analog blocks like the ones found on 29x66 psoc1. So unless you are not using many user modules, you will have to change a lot.

You could use a 24x94 (6digital + 4 analog blocks). That would be a mater of just changing target chip on Designer. But it can be posible only if your analog and digital resource usage is small or you can make it small (which I doubt since you are using a 29466).

On the other hand, the usb-serial bridges only require the RX and TX pins to work the other are optional signals. You can get them in packages as small as 3mmx3mm (cy8c24093 in 16-QFN ) and you will only need to add a UART user module to your cy8c29466 design.

0 Likes