How to select debug target?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Today I received CY8CKIT-049-41xx PSoC 4 Prototyping Kit and installed PSoC Creator 3.3.0.410. Then I selected "Flash_Example01", compiled it and tried to download to the kit. A window "Select Debug Target" pops up, but it is empty. I cannot select anything.

What should I do to populate that window as it shown in the help file?

Regards

Alex

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I just realized that CY8CKIT-049-41xx does not have debugger at all, it is only a bootloader in PSoC and USB-UART bridge. No worries.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I just realized that CY8CKIT-049-41xx does not have debugger at all, it is only a bootloader in PSoC and USB-UART bridge. No worries.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Alex and greetings to Down Under!

I hope you are not too disappointed having no debug capabilities with your Prototype board, but that's exactly what the name says: Good (and cheap) to construct and build a prototype. For development I would suggest using a Pioneer Kit CY8CKit-042 or a CY8CKit-044 (more hardware on chip and board) . The very cheapest solution could be to buy a CY8CKit-059 and use the snap-off KitProg as programmer/debugger for your -049 board.

Bob

JobinT_31
Employee
Employee
50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Adding one more kit to the suggestion CY8CKIT-043 PSoC® 4 M-Series Prototyping Kit

Thanks

JOBIN

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Yeahhh, I waited for that!!

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I guess I'm not the only one that's had this problem.

My son gave me the cy8ckit-049-42xx kit.  Today I got psoc creator 3.3 and went to town.

The com seems to be ok, and no code errors.  But, if  I switch the led speed by pushing the button on power up, I have the same results.

I can't seem to change the program in this thing for the blinky.  All I get stuck at is debug target ?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum! I must admit that I gave my son a prototyping kit, not the other way round 😉

You cannot debug the CY8CKIT-049-4xxx prototyping kit. It has got a bootloader pre-programmed and a snap-off USB interface. This $4 kit is just what the name says: good for building a (already debugged) prototype. For a Cypress kit for developing you will have to spend a little bit more money, but it pays off: Get a CY8CKIT-043 which has some more capabilities than your kit, including a snap-off programming and debugging part named KitProg. You may even use this KitProg for debugging your original CY8CKit-49-42xx.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for sharing this information with me.  The hardest part is getting started, and this is not my first failure.  In the 70's, I was taking care of the equipment at Rockwell making the 6502.  I got the AIM-65 with an extra 1K, and I'm thinking I was good to go.  Well, the internet was not very good, and if you don't know machine code, the book was no help. I screwed this thing and a power supply to piece of plywood.  I got as far as adding 1+1 before throwing it in the trash, plywood and all.  Today, hitting a brick wall is not the end of the road.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Yeah, times have changed since...

Today you can program anything into a $2 chip which has got more capabilities than my first IBM360 which took $2,000,000 a year just for the air condition. Fortunately that was paid by the government and not by me...

I can assure you: You can get anything you want (not from Alice's restaurant) with a PSoC, just a question of the interface to the outer world, this you have to provide yourself soldering some sensors and actuators. Everything else will fit into PSoCs.

Bob

0 Likes