CYBLE012011 throughput calculation

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

for our current project we need a maximum data throughput for a single custom service with one characteristic (array of 4 bytes) and using the notification procedure.  

Now I have problems to calculate the maximum theoretical  throughput I can achieve in this case. The maximum payload size in a PDU is 27 bytes (BLE 4.1) and the minimum connection interval is 7.5ms. But how many packets are transmitted during one event ?

Thank you

Udo

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it only sends one packet per event.

For your scenario, you can probably calculate it thus:

7.5ms connection interval, 4 bytes per packet, and 1 packet per connection interval will give:

4 bytes / 0.0075 s = 533.33 Bytes per second

Not a very fast data rate; Using a characteristic of size 20 bytes will give: 2666.66 Bytes per second

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the kind comment. But I know that the device sends more than one packet per event or interval. I guess it is in the region of 10, but I do not know the exact number.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, guess I'm wrong then 🙂

I know with a sniffer (like th CySmart BLE dongle) you can actively log the packets received upon connection, with timestamps as well. Have you tried using it to log the number/data of the packets sent upon a notification?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your tip. I will will try and report.

0 Likes