CY5677 BLE 4.2 Max range detected

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LeMo_2657571
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I've been using CY56777 BLE4.2 USB Dongle with Cysmart 1.2 to communicate with my BLE 4.2 devices,  I've detected that the max range is around 10m although I read in other comments that this max range is 30 m.

I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong or my results are correct.

I'm using ble data length extension, maybe it causes shorter range in measurements.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Moving it above the table might add some distance to the range;

If you have a USB hub with a cable, you could plug the dongle into that, and run the cable from the tabletop down to the tower, saving having to move the tower for getting a longer range.

For bluetooth smart, the 10 meters is a guarantee of range I think; Anything beyond that depends on interference, with a maximum range around 100 meters usually.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The range in wireless devices is hard to gauge effectively due to constructive and deconstructive interference. Thus, there is only a minimum range on wireless specs usually, with a typical/expected range value given. Varying different test locations/settings might change the range you are seeing: Indoors, outdoors, narrow hallway, corner of room versus center of room, lots of metal/conductors/wireless devices nearby, etc.

0 Likes
LeMo_2657571
Level 1
Level 1

My dongle is connected  under the table in a computer tower and It's used indoor, I'm in an office with several tables.

Do you think I should put the computer tower ON the table instead under to get more than 10 meters?

Thanks alot for your reply!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Moving it above the table might add some distance to the range;

If you have a USB hub with a cable, you could plug the dongle into that, and run the cable from the tabletop down to the tower, saving having to move the tower for getting a longer range.

For bluetooth smart, the 10 meters is a guarantee of range I think; Anything beyond that depends on interference, with a maximum range around 100 meters usually.

0 Likes
LeMo_2657571
Level 1
Level 1

I've just plug the dongle into a wire under a table lamp when I read your reply and efectively, I've more range with LOS. 

Thank you very much!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome! Glad you got more range without alot of work 🙂

0 Likes