ADC reading ripple dissapears when programmer connected to board

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi, I have a prototype etched board. I have two PSoC 29466 which comunícate with each other and then one of them sends that two the computer over bluetooth. Both PSoC are Reading different ADC channels using a DualADC. So far everything Works fine but we have found a problema. The ADC readings are plotted in a graph in real time and we can see a ripple in the readings. It is about 50mv to 100 mV. We want to remove this undesired effect and we have found that when whe leave the MiniProg 1 programmer conected to the programming header of one of the PSoC, the ripple dissapears. The programmer isn't supplying power. The power comes from a 5V DC Wall adapter which then is converted to 3.3V through a regulator. Everything is working at 3.3V. Does anyone have any idea of what can be causing the ripple?   
0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Looks really like a bad power-supply or a bad grounding. Check your supply voltage with a scope turned to AC and high gain to measure the ripple of the supply voltage. Check the capacitor between Vcc and GND for proper value.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

If you look at the Miniprog1 PCB looks like a sizable C connected to

Vdd at the interface pin. So you are seeing additional C when it is

attached to your header.

If you have a DSO you can see what spectral components are present

and tackle source problems appropriately. Eg, is it 50/60 Hz or a ripple

produced by some switching element. Then filter appropriately.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks to both. I thought so too. The problems is that I don't have the PCB here, and the tests is being made by another person that doesn't understand much about electronics so I will try to use a better cap for next revision, anyway at the end it will work with batteries so no worries 🙂

Thank you!

0 Likes