Problem with HID Bootloader

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have created a USB HID bootloader project and a bootloadable project for a PSoC5.

My test bootloadable project is just a PWM which toggles a LED. So far the bootloader works because once I load the bootloadable with the USB bootloader GUI software, I loose the USB device in the PC and the board starts toggling the LED as I configured it in the bootloadable.

The problem is that when I convert my application program to a bootloadable project and then program it to the PSoC using the bootloader software, it seems to do it but the progress bar never gets to the end. I hear the usb sound as disconnecting but then is connected again so my software never starts but instead stays in the bootloader.

I don't get any error. I configured the bootloadable with the same dependencies that I used for my first LED test bootloadable application so I don't know what the problem might be. I'm only using 26.2% of Flash and 32.8% of RAM in my application so I don't believe that could be the cause.

What could be causing this?

Thank you.

0 Likes
12 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a PIC of the bootloader application

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

When you post the complete project here we will be able to check the settings and the source for any inconsistencies. To do so, use Creator 3.0 -> File -> Create Workspace Bundle and attach the resulting archive using ie (chrome still does not work).

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I can't post the project here since is for work. Could you tell me what should I check?

I'm trying to make the project again form 0 just adding the parts and the code by parts checking that eveytime I add a part of the application it still can be programmed by bootloader.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could it have something to do with the USB connection? 

I've discovered that when I add a UART to the project and then program the board with the bootloader the app doesn't start.

Then if I add just a timer it works.

Finally I add only the a couple of ADC's and 8 PWMs and it doesn't work so I'm guessing is because of the size of the program.

Do you have any idea of what can be the cause?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Then you can post project at Cypress, which is not public domain, by

fileing a CASE -

To file a tech case -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a MyCase”

Regards, Dana

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok,

I think I will do that but first I might just try to use a UART bootloader to see if I can be able to update the firmware wirelessly using the on board bluetooth which is working as a serial replacement.

Can anyone tell me if the UART bootloader can work at 115200 bps? It seems it can but when I use Cypress UART bootloader software you can only select up to 57600 but you can manually write 115200.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had no luck with the UART bootloader using the bluetooth module.

I've tried again with the USB but I can't make it work.

I've attached the simplest bootloader and bootloadable projects. The bootloadable works just fine if you delete the UART that I've added. I know it works because the LED blinks slower with the bootloadable application and also I loose the USB connection until I reboot the board.

There is basically no code so I don't know what the problem can be.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since this my be useful for someone else I will post the solution.

I filed a case and Cypress support team has found the solution.

Turns out there is a bug in PSoC Creator.

The work arround is easy. You just need to do this:

Un-check the option "Store Configuration Data in ECC Memory" available in the 'Systems' tab of the .cydwr file of the Bootloadable project. Now clean and build All projects-> Program Bootloader -> Bootload using the Host Application.

I hope it helps.

Thanks everyone!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi twistx77,

I'am also busy with a usb bootloader(able) program. But which host program are you using? I only found PSoC1 usb host program but that is asking for a dld file and not for the .cyacd files.

Am I using the wrong host program?

Btw also my bootloader led is not flashing while the bootloader starts and stops after 20 seconds, which I customized.

I hope you (or someone else) can help me.

Rob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

You are aware of these example programs in Creator -

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I am,

I already have a bootloader and a bootloadable project. It seems that they are working (LED is also flashing when bootloader starts) but I could not find a bootloader host program to upload the .cyacd file to my device.

The only one I found was a host program for .dld files and that is old stuff I think.  Do you know if here is a ready to use bootloader hostprogram or do I have to make it myself...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wel I did a much  better search in the Cypress filders and I found a new Bootloader host program.

I used it and ...tada.. the file was correctly uploaded to my PSoC 5 project and was working too.

Thanks anyway!

0 Likes