GSM Modem (SIM 300) interface wih PSoC3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am using CY8Ckit-030 PSoC3 development kit..If i want to transmit AT commands to gsm modem then how UART of PSoC and UART of gsm modem should be connected ? And if i use UART_TX example project available in PSoC Creator then what should necessary changes should be done on UART and Character LCD components in Topdesign.cysch ? I have go through this topic http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2232&rID=52896  still there is no communication between the two.And how DCE to DCE communication done when there are female DB9 connector on both the sides?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi vip11,

The project attached in the link you provided shows how a text message can be sent using SIM300 GSM modem to a number of your choice.

On The PC side DB9 connector, pin-2 isRx and pin-3 is Tx.

On the PSoC3 kit, Pin-2 is Tx and Pin-3 is Rx. In the GSM modem too Pin-2 is Tx and Pin-3 is Rx.

Hence, in order to establish comm b/w PSoC3 development kit and GSM modem, the pins 2 and 3 should be criss-crossed. Connect pin2 of kit to pin3 of GSM modem and vice versa.

Let us know if this works.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The serial interface has never undergone a strong standardization as for instance USB or the Centronix interface. Thus a lot of experiencing (trial and error) has to be done.

First: a level-shifter is required to connect to another serial interface, MAX232 might be already on the board and should be enableg, consult the schematic.

The cable: To cross or not to cross, that's the question. Modems usually use hardware-handshake with RTS and CTS, TX and RX that has to be implemented in the PSoCs UART or (when possible) disabled in the modem.

Triple check the baud-rate!!! Check Start- and Stop-bits.

And: Make written notes, what you checked.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

As Bob has mentioned, you have to do some experimenting. In my case, I had to cross the wire to make the comm work: TX on 1st connector is connected RX of 2nd connector, RX of 1st connector is connected TX of 2nd connector.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi vip11,

The project attached in the link you provided shows how a text message can be sent using SIM300 GSM modem to a number of your choice.

On The PC side DB9 connector, pin-2 isRx and pin-3 is Tx.

On the PSoC3 kit, Pin-2 is Tx and Pin-3 is Rx. In the GSM modem too Pin-2 is Tx and Pin-3 is Rx.

Hence, in order to establish comm b/w PSoC3 development kit and GSM modem, the pins 2 and 3 should be criss-crossed. Connect pin2 of kit to pin3 of GSM modem and vice versa.

Let us know if this works.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

bt  i have tried that gsm modem project .still it doesn't work..can you guide what other connections we can try to make it work?and how we can check whether UART is communicating or not? 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Use a scope and send "Hello world" over the UART.

Route the UART-Clock to an output pin and verify correct frequency

You'll always need a scope

You may connect the UART-TX to the UART-Rx and with a piece oft software you can see if the UART>> is able to talk to itself

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi vip11,

As Bob has mentioned, you can test the UART by sending out sample strings like "Hello World".

One way to make sure that the UART in the project is sending out data from PSoC is to connect the UART terminals to PC's Hyperterminal. Use Hyperterminal to see if the commands such as "AT+CMGF=1" and "AT+CMGS="xxxxxxxxxx"" appears on the hyperterminal. Make sure that the baud rate set for both are same.

To be able to receive SMS via this modem make sure that the modem has acquired the channel. Waiting for a few seconds after the modem is powered on, or waiting till the Indicator LED blinks in a specific manner is another option to be sure that the channel is acquired.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any one can help me how gsm model interface with psoc 5lp,

please send  me details  about connections and program to send message through gsm using UART cable.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

There are sample projects in Creator for using UART that you can

look at, both send and receive.

If the GSM has TTL UART levels, then you can wire it directly to PSOC.

If it has RS232 levels you need to use a level translator, like a MAXIM

MAX232 or similiar, they offer a number of varients.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for yesterday replay sir. whenever i am connecting to system i  am  getting  the results perfectly. but unable interlink  gsm modem and psoc.  i connect like as  gsm to max card through UART ,  MAX CARD  have four pins they are  Tx, Rx, gnd and 5v supply, these four pins connected to Psoc board,but i dont know how the out put check i mean i did all connection properly i dont know what i  do next, please help me with flow

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

When you start reading this thread from the beginning you'll se some hints how to check out yout interface.

Try to report which of the steps you already tried and how they did work.

Very helpful would be when you post your complete project here, so that we all can have a look at the settings and the code. For this use Creator "File -> Create workspace bundle" and attach the resulting file with your post (DO NOT use chrome, it will not work!)

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im using the kit psoc 5lp, Device is cy8c5868AX1-LP035, When i connect usb cable between psoc board and loptop its not detect in device mannager , i mean i did not device driver softwere detect psoc usb cable , can any one help me where that driver soft i download...... plaese send me that link . i need interface gsm model to pc through psoc controller, but port is not detecting help me please

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Are you using a Kit-050b? Did you try both USB-ports on that board??

Drivers are usually installed together with the Kit-CD or with the Creator 3.0 software.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

If you are using Creator 3.0, connect PC to right hand USB connector on -050 LP kit as

shown below. That is for debug/programming.

If you have a USB application programmed into the board, then you would use the left hand

USB connector.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Picture did not post -

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

One more time, picture attached.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

May be you should start the post under PSoC5 as you are using the PSoC5 chip. While most of people here would discuss every thing PSoC. It would be easier for others to follow. Just a suggestion.

0 Likes