How to power Pioneer board using 3.6V?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a straight-forward way to power the Pioneer from a 3.6V power supply?  I have tried multiple methods of doing so without much success... Applying 3.6V to Vin seems to do nothing.  Applying it through the USB port does not provide enough power and so one of the lights dimly lights up, but doesn't do much else.  It seems applying 3.3V-3.4V through the 3.3V EXT works, but the onboard protection circuitry shuts off the board when I get to about 3.47V (tested using a bench power supply).

Is there a straight-forward method of powering this board with 3.6V without needing to result to external regulation circuitry?

0 Likes
4 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The user manual shows and discusses power distribution -

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Picture attached

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

is your 3.6v source stable? has it been externally regulated or anything? 

If it is stable I would recommend you feeding it through the 3.3v_ext pin and populating the unpopulated R48 with a Zero ohm resistor to bypass the protection circuitry.

Probably soldering a low Vf diode in R48 would be even better by protecting your source from reverse discharging and dropping the Voltage to around 3.3v

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW While feeding your 3.6v source through USB did you try setting J9 to VBUS instead of 3.3? that way you bypass the regulator and the full 3.6v (minus the schottky diode drop) appear on VDD.

0 Likes