External clock into peripherals

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to provide a PSoC5 peripheral (e.g. PWM) with a clock from an external source?  That is, can you connect the clock input on a PWM component to a digital input pin?  What is the maximum allowable frequency of such a connect?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Yes, of course this is possible for PSoC1/3 and 5, only PSoC4 is restricted with clock distribution. For max. frequencies have a look into the PWM datasheet.

I would suggest you to download and run Creator 3, there you can start a new project, connect an input pin to a PWM and compile.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Even though this is PSOC 4 there is a reference to using the approach with PSOC 3, 5LP. I

thinks its a not so subtle hint that meeting timing in any of the 3/4/5LP families should be

done this way.

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=80799

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help.  I was hoping it was possible to clock the UDB peripherals at a rate higher than the internal core clock.  It looks like that's not the case and, at least for the PWM case, are limited to 68MHz max.

0 Likes