From the filter component output to a custom verilog block via DMA

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all!

At the moment I am trying to move data from the Filter block output ( the normal one not the one that can be programmed in asm) to a custom Verilog block via DMA and without intervention of the CPU in a PSoC5LP.

I was wondering: 1) is this possible at all? 2) in case it is, could you point me to application notes/examples that could serve as inspiration? If anybody could provide me with an example in which a Verilog block receives data via DMA I could probably take it from there.    

Thanks for the help    

JA    

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

1st: It can be done.

2nd: It can turn out to be complicated.

I would start with a verilog / datapath object that gets its data written into its FIFO by CPU. When that works, you may send the data through DMA. Depending on the width there are some special aspects of handling that with DMA, but there are appnotes concerning that. Use Keyword Search at top of this page.

Have a deep look into "Components Author Guide" (in your Creator folder) to get the register-names to write to.

Transferring the data from filter to your component then is quite easy (depending on the width and the spokewidth of the DMA-channel, too)

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I was just wondering if it is possible to write directly to a register the filter output (I am refering to the component register that you can drag and drop). Then the natural step would be to read that component register from my newly created verilog block. That would make thigns easier since datapath objects would not be needed. What´s your opinion on this approach?

Cheers.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You cannot convert a component-internal register to something routable to do what you want in schematic.

You cannot transfer a register content from one register to another without using CPU or DMA.

The so-called registers are memory locations within a special area and can only be accessed by CPU or DMA.

When you are programming both components you get the chance of creating a bus in verilog and have the transfer performed with signals, but this will not work when the FIFOs are involved.

Bob

0 Likes