Bootloader, Bootloadable: How-to for Creator 3.0

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am very new to PSOC but not to embedded systems.  I got one of the CY8CKIT-049-42xx boards and installed PSoC Creator 3.0.

I am confused about bootloader vs bootloadable projects and how to set up a new project.  

I think I want to make a bootloadable project and the somehow link it to a bootloader project, perhaps from the examples.

The getting started guides and similar documents skip over this issue although there is plenty of documentation on migrating from older versions.

Is there some simple basic documentation on this anywhere?

Thanks
Don

0 Likes
14 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This might help -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=69922 Video

http://www.cypress.com/search.cfm?q=bootloadable

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, the video seems to have the info needed.  Its hard to go step by step through a video, I much prefer written documents, but it covers the key thinga that are missing from the docuements I had seen (including the datasheet the other link is to).

1) You have to have a "bootloader" project somewhere.  This is not the application project, its just a bootloader and a communications interface.  You can build one or in my case there is one in the examples for this board.

2) The project you create should be "bootloadable".  The video shows where the setting is to change an existing project to bootloadable, I hunted for that for quite a while without finding it in the GUI or a document.

3) You configure the bootloadable component in your project with the hex and elf files of the bootloader project you wish to use.

I can see that this is quite flexable and will let you create your own bootloader and communications channel etc.

It would be a lot easier for new users to get up and running if the Creator tool could use a default bootloader more readily.

Don

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There are some more restrictions to BootLoader/Bootloadable pairs:

The BootLoadable DEPENDS on the Bootloader, there are entry-points, there is a size of the bootloader and a start of the bootloadable that may not change without building and programming both parts anew. Some of the problems users have when programming the Prototype KIT-049-42xx result from building their project with a different bootloader from what is already programmed into the chip.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

When you creat a new project, in the advanced section you can design

it as a BL project, see attached screen shot. This adds the support code.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi DanaaKnight,

Thanks for the info. on creating new bootloadable component. But while creating a new project, I dont get the Advanced options for creating the project at all? Where do I select this option about Application type?

My set up is the following:

Board: Psoc4 CY8CKIT-049-42xx

Environment:
PSoC Creator  3.3 CP3 (3.3.0.9604)
Culture: English (United States)
OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
CLR Version: 4.0.30319.34209

Installed CyInstaller Products:
Cypress Document Manager 1.0 SP1
PSoC Programmer 3.24.2
PSoC Creator 3.3 CP3

Please help.

Regards,

Jyothi

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum, Jyothi!

Dana's post is two years old, things have changed since. You do not need to specify a bootloadable project anymore, it is automatically assumed to be one, when you place a BootLoadable component onto yout topdesign. When you installed your CY8CKit-049 successfully, the required BootLoader files are already copied to your PC. There is no need to build them anew, because you (probably) are not able to reprogram the bootloader into your kit (can only be done with a Miniprog3 or a KitProg).

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob,

I am using Psoc creator 3.3 on Windows Vista and  I am not able to configure the bootloadable component.

Whereas on Windows10, it is doable.  Is there any restriction on OS specific revision?

Regards,

Jyothi

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I've never heard about OS restrictions you experience. What do you mean exactly with " I am not able to configure the bootloadable component"?

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is the right click on bootloadable component we create in the schematic space.

The problem I get on vista is that I dont get option "configure" on right click

Screen shot is attached here.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You are in "Components" view and not in "Source" view of your workspace explorer.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using CY8Ckit-49 Prototyping with 4200 chip.

It has no image buried into it. Neither any example programs , so for bootloadable component I supply the path from the project I build myself. .hex and .elf files

MyProject.cydsn\Bootloadable.cydsn\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_493\Debug\Bootloadable.hex / elf

While Programming the final Image cyacd :

##############error during program from Tools->BootloadHex###############

12:42:02 PM - verify Started

12:42:03 PM - The operation has timed out.

12:42:03 PM - Communication port reported error 'Unable to read data from the target device'.

12:42:03 PM - verify failed in 1029 ms.

12:42:07 PM - program Started

12:42:08 PM - The operation has timed out.

12:42:08 PM - Communication port reported error 'Unable to read data from the target device'.

##############error during program from Tools->BootloadHex###############

Observations:

It is able to Identify the usb port and configure it as serial port23 (pls see snapshot attached)
Also it is shown up in Windows Device Manager...
Verify, even Erase is failing, as it is not reading the data from board..

can you please hint me what could be the issue?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Into the CY8CKIT-049 a bootloader image is already programmed. So you will need to use the original Cypress supplied files to be specified in your project's bootloadable component. These files are usually installed together with the kit files. Search the Cypress site for the kit and re-install the kit-files if necessary.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob, Yes in my psocCreator-3.3  kit files were missing. Now I could re-install them and found SCB_bootloader project.

But  having a strange errors in building SCB_bootloader project as below:

1. For Bootloadable_blinking LED :

-In Topdesign.chsh - says Cannot find component Bootloadable

...\Kit_example_SCB_Bootloader\SCB_Bootloader\Bootloadable Blinking LED.cydsn\CortexM0\ARM_GCC_493\Debug

build log:

Creator\3.3\PSoC Creator\psoc\content\cycomponentlibrary\CyComponentLibrary.cylib\CyComponentLibrary.cyprj". The Components provided by this library will not be available.
Elaborating Design...
ADD: sdb.M0033: error: The instance 'Bootloadable', of component Bootloadable_v1_30, contains an error. Unable to locate and customize component 'Bootloadable_v1_30' used in schematic

2.While UART_bootloader.hex/elf  are available as desired , but the component TCPWM_P4 is not installed properly.

I get the following error (image attached)

Pls. help to resolve .

Do you suggest me to re-install psocCreator? If so please give the URL link , if it is the mere solution.

(Microsoft Windows -Vista, Visual C++ 2008 installed)

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Re-install Creator from here.

Bob

0 Likes