Programming Problems with Virtualization (VMWare, Parallels) on MacOS

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently had difficulties programming my CY8CKIT-050 using either the on-board DVK05 programmer or a separate MiniProg3 programmer inside a virtual Windows 7 session under Paralles (MacOS 10.9.4, Windows 7 SP1).

Specifically, I could successfully program my device, but subsequent attempts to program would give an "unknown error -100." If I unplugged the programmer and plugged it back in, I could program once again but any further attempts would give the same error. 

The problem existed in both Parallels 9 and VMWare Fusion 6, but when I booted into Windows 7 natively (Bootcamp) the problem went away. It seems Cypress uses some non-standard USB tricks in their programmers that confuse the virtualized USB drivers. Although I have not found a workaround for Parallels, there is a workaround for VMWare Fusion. The specific line that I added to my vmx file was:

usb.quirks.device0 = "0x04b4:0xf131 skip-reset, skip-refresh, skip-setconfig"

This resolved the issue immediately, unfortunately I'm now stuck using VMWare instead of Parallels. At least I'm not stuck in native mode, though!

Hope this helps someone else. I struggled for weeks with this issue and even involved FAEs from Cypress on the matter, to no avail.

Regards,
Mike 

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for sharing this solution with everyone.

I run a 32-bit Windows 7 SP1 guest on VMWare Fusion (6.0.3) under OSX 10.9.3 on a 2012 MacBook Air. I do not have this issue that you have. I have used this virtual setup for quite some time now and programmed PSoC devices using the on-board KitProg3 that comes with the PSoC5LP dev kit, the on-board programmer (not sure what it's called) on the PSoC4 pioneer dev kit, and also using my own FX2LP based programmer (same as the PSoC5LP dev kit) on custom boards.

I do occasionally see that PSoC Creator can't capture the PSoC5LP (It detects the programmer and detects an ARM Cortex-M3 connected to the programmer, but cannot determine that it's a PSoC5LP) -- I have to power-cycle the board which also reconnects the programmer to get it working again. Virtually disconnecting the programmer from the Windows guest and reconnecting it sometimes works as well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting that you do not see this problem on your setup as it is identical to mine. I tried using a fresh Windows XP install under both Parallels and VMWare and the problem was still there. The release notes for the programmer also claim compatibility with Parallels 8 and VMWare Fusion 5, however I was using Parallels 9. Incidentally, I'm using PSoC Creator 3.0 SP1. 

I've also seen the "ARM Cortex M3" issue, however that is only with my own 5LP designs, not with the dev kits. Strangely enough, with my own designs (which follow the kit reference design to a tee), although XRES is supposedly pulled up internally, the voltage on the pin is always zero and I have to manually pull it up with an external 10k. I've poured all over the docs for a solution to this issue but haven't found anything. If I hold the device in reset and then let it go, it reports as a PSoC device again.

Incidentally, the exact error:

Error: dbg.M0023: There was an error while programming the device: PSoC Programmer reported error (100 - Unknown error)

0 Likes
antu_285091
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

I'm also a mac user and have seen the same problems that you're reporting. The need to unplug/replug was definitely annoying. My solution (to this problem and others) was to use a Segger J-Link for debugging. It plugs right into the -050 kit and works just fine, with no hiccups at all.

I'm also doing builds natively on the mac as well, using the launchpad.net toolchain and makefile. Builds are *much* faster natively than they are when run on a VM. Plus, I don't have to worry about PSoC Creator crashing when it sees my C++ code. Creator is still necessary to configure all the special PSoC stuff, but the "generate application" button takes care of the magic. From that point on, it's just source code for a Cortex M3.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mfj: see the exact same error message when it fails to find the PSoC5LP through the DVK; sometimes virtually unplugging and plugging it back in works, but not always. Resetting the PSoC5LP target never works. Physically unplugging and replugging always works.

@andyturk: I didn't think of using a jlink; that'd certainly be an option and would speed things along with native (OSX) builds and debugging. Thanks for the tip!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to mention, I use PSoC Creator 3.0 SPI as well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this info... I found that my MiniProg3 was VID 04B4 and PID F113... use the PID of your probe when attempting this!  You can find this through Device Mangler.

0 Likes