PSoC5 interface to Graphic LCD and useSEGGER emWIN Graphic Library

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
FrHa_295756
Level 1
Level 1
First like received
        I am in the process of trying to connect a Microtips Graphic LCD display to a PSoC5LP development board and Iam looking for some hints and direction for the connectionc and sample programs.   
0 Likes
14 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

It would be helpful when you tell us which display (link to datasheet) you are planning to use.

Bob

0 Likes
FrHa_295756
Level 1
Level 1
First like received
        Microtips MTF-TW70SN911-AV. this was recommended by my local Cypress Rep. (Location Austin Texas)   
0 Likes
FrHa_295756
Level 1
Level 1
First like received
        Here is the Spec sheet. Sorry I am new to using a community. Sorry, I don't know how to append the file to the post. I browse to the file, but it puts the path to my C drive directory. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong .... please.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Use I.E, FoxFire or Safari, If you can.   
0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Link to the data sheet: http://www.microtipsusa.com/pdfs/products/TFT/MTF-TW70SN911-AV.pdf

Unfortunately it doesn't tell what the conmtroller on the display is 😞

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Found this information on the Microtips website. Its a SSD1963 - the data sheet can be found here: http://www.allshore.com/pdf/solomon_systech_ssd1963.pdf

Basically you need 12 GPIOs to control it (RD, WR, CS, D/C and 8 data bits). Look at the controller data sheet for how to send data and commands, and which commands are available. This should be rather simple to implement.

You can also look at the Graphic LCD parallel interface component, maybe it works for you (though it doesn't support the SSD1963 directly).

0 Likes
FrHa_295756
Level 1
Level 1
First like received
        I already have the unit set up to use the GraphicLCDIntf component in the 16 bit data mode. All control signals and data signals are assigned pins ....EXCEPT Reset ?? I do not see any place in the schematic to access the signal on the PSoC5LP development board and the component does not create a reset signal / pin. Do I just assign an I/O pin and in some fassion reset the display when the code starts running? The reset line seems to be important to the LCD controller chip. And before I forget it I want to THANK YOU ALL for your help, it is really appreciated!!!! I love these chips and between them and C it is really stretching my 64 your old engineer gray matter 🙂 !!   
0 Likes
FrHa_295756
Level 1
Level 1
First like received
        HA Engineers can't spell either!   
0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

When I remember right, the GraphicLCDIntf component is for TFT displays without own controller. For that, the PSoC has not enough memory in your case (you would need nearly 1 meg).

As for the reset signal, you can pull it up to Vcc, or connect it to a GPIO pin. The latter is only needed when you want the module to reset during operation.

0 Likes
FrHa_295756
Level 1
Level 1
First like received
        The component listed GraphicLCDIntf is the one that talks to LCD panels with controllers. You are thinking of component GraphicLCDCtrl. GraphicLCDCtrl talk to horizontal and vertical rows. I will tie the reset line to +3V for now. Thanks !!   
0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

I knew I should have looked into the data sheets first 😞

One additional note: you can safely switch to the 8bit mode of the controller. It will understand all commands, its just the RGB data which gets transferred differently.

For emwin, there are some postings in the forum, you should search for them. I'm not sure wheter Cypress hasn't licensed the SSD1963 driver from Segger (you would need GUIDRIVER_CompactColor_16 [http://www.segger.com/guidrv_compactcolor_16.html], which seems to available according to the documentation [http://www.cypress.com/?docID=37164]).

But Google should give you a ton of code for talking with the SSD1963, this controller is basis for many cheap displays sold on Ebay...

0 Likes
FrHa_295756
Level 1
Level 1
First like received
        Thank You for your input. I have that driver in my header files and project files. I am stuck right now on a very early compile error. It askes for a GUI.h file which I found under emWinGraphics/Code/Include/PSoC5 and I added to my header files and it still says it can not find not find it! Just another day in paradise learning C and PSoC Creator 🙂   
0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

You need add the path to this file to the include path.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm using a 2.8 TFT screen with a 8-bit latch on board wich can be selected by a jumper. Controller is the ili9320. I wander if the emWin files can be configured for using the 8-bits latch by controlling the LE port?

I also want to know if I can control the TFT with 8-bit data and without using the latch by using the msb data bits and the lsb databits on ground.

I try to get something on the screen with my PSoC5 but nothing.....

Anyone has some experience with this kind of TFT display, comming from the STM32 development board.

Thanks!

Rob

0 Likes