Correct way to emit 'x' internal clock pulses on a physical pin?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a situation where I am trying to clock out an exact number of pulses from a design-wide clock to an I/O pin. (this is part of a hardware SWD block I'm designing.)  I am selecting the desired I/O pin with a demultiplexer and my first idea was to use a UDBClkEn block with a counter to gate the design-wide clock resource out to the physical pin.

Unfortunately this does not work, because the UDBClkEn block can only drive UDB clock input nets and since I am driving an I/O pin through a demux this obviously won't work.

I could drive a D FF but the output clock would be 1/2 of the desired clock. I could create a clock that is 2x the frequency of the design-wide clock but then I'm not guaranteed that it's synchronous. I could use a DDR block but PSoC doesn't have DDR primitives. I could just use an AND gate to gate the clock but now I have to worry about runt pulses.

What is the correct way to route a specific number of clock pulses from a design-wide clock resource through an I/O pin?

0 Likes
2 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

If timing is crucial Verilog solution would of course effect this easily.

If timing not that critical nothing more than a one shot timer counting out

n timing cycles and driving a gate/FF would suffice.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

the design-wide clock I'm trying to get out of the device is used internally to synchronize data coming in to the device that is being clocked by that same clock.

I ended up with a negative-edge-triggered FF to create a glitch-free clock enable. I haven't tested it yet:

SWD_DONE goes high when 46 clock cycles have elapsed and stays high until the counter is reloaded. I use a negative edge triggered flip flop to ensure the first rising edge is seen.

0 Likes