Realistic low power usage?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I am doing a feasibility study for a product change to CapSense.  The product spec calls for 1 uA sleep current.  I see that the datasheet for one PSoC (CY8C20437) gives the following current numbers:
--1.1 uA for sleep
--0.1 uA for deep sleep
--28 uA "in run time" for scanning a single CapSense sensor

However, we all know that datasheets are.....well, let's say, "optimistic".  In doing a little bit of playing around based on this article and this app note AN47310, I have gotten my power consumption down to ~200 uA (from 2 mA), during sleep mode, and a little more while scanning a single sensor.  This is a far cry from the promised 1 uA, though.

What I've done so far - I took a basic 9-sensor in, 8-GPIO out, simple timer circuit and:

• Reduced clock speed IMO to 6 MHz and CPU_Clock to /4 -- this reduced my current from 2 to 1.5
  •     
  • Implemented a basic sleep mode - down to 0.2 mA while sleeping
  •     
  • Reduced the number of sensors scanned to 1
  •     
  • Turned a couple of my outputs from Strong drive to Analog Hi-Z - this didn't seem to help power consumption
  •     
  • I assume that the advice about turning analog off is inapplicable for CapSense
  •     
  • Most of the other bullet points in the article are beyond my present knowledge of PSoC (analog column clock, VC clock dividers, etc. etc.)
  •    

So....my questions for the forum are:

• Is the quoted 1 uA range actually achievable?  Has anyone done it?  Is there low-hanging fruit I have missed?
  •     
  • What about deep sleep mode?  Will it actually go to 0.1 uA?
  •     
  • Does anybody know of any further resources, examples, etc. than what I've found so far, to help with sleep / deep sleep / low power with CapSense? 
  •    

N.b., I found this article, "Low and Battery power techniques with CapSense" which only refers to AN2360, "Capacitive Sensing - Power and Sleep Considerations", which is frustratingly AWOL.  Maybe it was subsumed into the Design Guide or Getting Started, but they each only have about one page, with a small amount of useful information.

Also, there is AN47215, "PSoC RC Oscillator to Accurately Time Sleep Cycles", which I haven't gotten into yet because I don't need precise timing right now.

As mentioned, right now I am just trying to see if we can get within a microamp or three of 1 uA average sleep current, while maintaining one CapSense line to "wake up".

Thanks in advance,
Chris

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the point of having a WYSIWYG editor to post stuff, and then having what you get in the result NOT what you see in the editor?  Sigh....

Anywho, I just wanted to add one more question - are there any lower-power PSoC / Capsense parts than the 20437 that I linked?  It's rather hard to find such info in a parametric search...

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I would suggest you to create a MyCase and submit the project and schematic used to Cypress, they can really help you.

On top of this page go to "Support&Community -> Technical Support -> Create a MyCase"

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Post a schematic and archive if you have not already filed a CASE.

To create a technical case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes