Connecting a pin to both an uncommitted op amp and an analog mux (psoc5lp)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to drive a calibration voltage from a VDAC through an op-amp (for higher current drive) and monitor the voltage at the same time (I'm driving a variable load and want to manually compensate it).

I can't figure out how to get PSoC Creator to let me do this. From a routing perspective it's trivial, I can hand-route it, but I'm wondering if there's a way to do it "normally" and just not seeing it.

The pin I'm using (bottom left) is the direct output from one of the uncommitted op amps. When I try to generate this design, Creator complains that the op-amp output is only designed to drive one pin. If I try to use an AMUX (with the intention of connecting both "inputs" to the "output", Creator complains that you can't connect the common of a mux to the input of another. If I rotate the AMUX I get similar errors.

I really don't want to use a "throwaway" pin to feed the signal back. Is there a Creator-sanctioned way to do this?

0 Likes
8 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Did you try to use the SARADC alone (not the sequencing SAR)? It might be (without looking at the data sheets) that the SAR mux want to connect its inputs to pins directly, and that Creator doesn't like that.

Did you specify P3[3] as OpAmp out manually, or got that assigned by Creator?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, using another ADC solves it, but I am looking for a more generic solution. A future application may require both ADCs and thus not work.

It looks like it can be done by forcing the analog routing to close an additional switch. Is there an "official" way to do this? I tried net ties and net joins without any sucess, and I'd really like to avoid hardcoding it in software.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The mux that is used with the sequebcing SAR is the Analog Hardware Mux and it does not allow for any additional internal connections (see datasheet), so Hli suggestion is completely right: you cannot solve that except connecting external pins.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Alternatively, you can use a normal SAR ADC together with the non-hardware analog mux. It means you lose the automatic sequencing, but should be able to connect the feedback path.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Consider filing a CASE on the original problem, to see if

any of the net components can force a route.

To create a technical case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your ideas and thoughts on this.

For now I've gone the same route that hli suggested which was just to use the second SAR without a MUX.

There are still a lot of "hidden" restrictions when using the various higher level constructs which I suppose is par for the course (trading implemenation speed with flexibility). I'm not completely sure *why* a hardware mux restricts things in this way, since it appears that the actual routing fabric would allow it. This isn't a criticism so much as just a recognition of the learning curve these parts present.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

When you switch to "Analog" view in the .cydwr file you can see how the Analog Hardware Mux is realized and how it affects further routing. The analog routing capabilities are a bit reduced compared to the PSoC5.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's actually my point; I can see clearly that I should be able to close a switch and realize what I want without trouble. This is why I asked how to try to show it to Creator. 🙂

0 Likes