SC Fixed Blocks exceeded

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi, I am attempting to modify an existing design to add a WaveDAC8. I receive the following error: Resource limit: Maximum number of SC Fixed Blocks exceeded (max=0, needed=1). The requested resource was not available the quantity required by the design. Update the design or select a device with a greater number of the resource requested. What does that mean and how do I fix it? Thanks.   
0 Likes
13 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Which device are you programming for?

The errormessage states that you are using a component that is not contained within your selected device.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi, And thanks very much for getting back to me. The device is the PSoC 3. This is a bit strange as I have a test configuration (downloaded from the message board) that compiles fine. I will check the configured device in the test configuration.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Ah, OK. The test configuration is for a PSoC 5. Ok, so this begs another question. If the WaveDAC8 only permitted with the PSoC 5, why PSoC creator even allowing it to be configured at all? At least give a warning that this particular component is not compatible with the PSoC 3.   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

There is a Wavedac component and example project in

Creator 3.0 for PSOC 3.

Consider posting your project, makes life easier to troubleshoot.

“File”                                                             Creator

“Create Workspace Bundle”

Use Firefox or IE, not chrome to post.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The WaveDac8 runs on a PSoC3, so it must be something different.

If you want more help, best would be to post the complete project. To do so, use
Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)
and attach the resulting file (you may use chrome, that should work from now on).

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hello Bob, Yes, you are absolutely correct I should have included the project in my original post. I will do that from now on should I encounter further issues. Please find attached the bundle. Please note it is a work in progress and it is not a finished design. Thanks, Ron   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You do not have got a PGA or an inverting PGA on your selected PSoC3-chip.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi, Yes, removing the PGA eliminated the error. Thanks for you assistance. Do you have any suggestions as to a follow on component to the WaveDac8?. I have tried the Opamp component but that simply reintroduces the Fixed blocks error again. Thanks, Ron   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You need to select a different  chip, one with sc blocks. look into device selector.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi, Ok, thanks again. I can't select a different chip. I'm working with a hardware design at is fixed. I am working with the firmware to allow for slightly different functionality. So it appears I can not add the functionality I had hoped for. Thanks gain for your help. Ron   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You may use the same PCB but a different pin-compatible chip as the CY8C3446PVI

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Keep in mind Wavedac component is really nothing more than

a VDAC followed by a buffer. The VDAC8 has a hi Z out, so generally

you would buffer.16K ohms typ at 4V range. So if you can design

external circuits to accomidate the Hi Z no reason you cannot have

your own solution w/o need for OpAmp/PGA.

The rest of the solution is a table of values in memory for the waveshape,

and DMA, pretty simple. And a timer that controls rate at which DMA accesses

table. That sets frequency.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi, Thanks for all the suggestions. Everyone has been very helpful. Upgrading to another pin capable chip in future releases of the PCB, but that will not address current owners. (The devices is a software defined radio named Peaberry). As for adding an external device, yes that is very doable and I am moving forward with that notion. It will be controlled via one of the existing pins that has already be externalized. Thanks again.   
0 Likes