iOS vs Andriod detection?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

This maybe a very simple but the pieces just aren't falling in place for me.  I'm working on an embedded product that will need to communicate with both iOS and Andriod and determine which is attempting to communicate with it.  I'm currently working on setting up the GATT and services.  Is there anything special I need to include or handle to allow my peripheral product to determine if it is communicating with an iOS or Andriod device?

thanks in advance and sorry if this is something I've simply overlooked,

Michelle

0 Likes
1 Solution
VictorZ_46
Employee
Employee
5 comments on blog 25 sign-ins 250 likes received

When peer connects and performs the pairing you can turn around and perform GATT discovery on the peer.  iOS 7.0 or later is likely to be running ANCS server which has a unique UUID.  It might not work on iPads.  But you may be lucky and find something specific there as well.  You may also go for subtle differences like the connection interval the peer is setting up or something like that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
VictorZ_46
Employee
Employee
5 comments on blog 25 sign-ins 250 likes received

When peer connects and performs the pairing you can turn around and perform GATT discovery on the peer.  iOS 7.0 or later is likely to be running ANCS server which has a unique UUID.  It might not work on iPads.  But you may be lucky and find something specific there as well.  You may also go for subtle differences like the connection interval the peer is setting up or something like that.

Well, and if you are running your app on iOS/Android it is much more simpler than that.  You can create a characteristic with 1 byte value on your device and ask peer app to write if it is iOS at the time of pairing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I'll talk with my Software guys about implementing something this simple.

Michelle

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

On iOS you can use the LightBlue app to connect and write/read the characteristic as victorz mentioned. App implementation should be a quick job too.

0 Likes