SDK and Host controller configuration help

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking at using a host controller in my design.  I've read through the documentation and looked through all of the example applications.  I'm still struggling to find much detail on exactly how to communicate with the BCM2073X family via a host controller on the HCI UART.  Can anyone point me to any help on this issue?  Documentation, example applications, etc. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

The 20732, 20736 and 20737 are not intended to be used as traditional HCI controllers. The designed use is for applications where the stack and the host are completely embedded in the 2073x. So you don't need the BT stack on the host. If you plan to interface this with an MCU the communication between 2073x and the MCU should be over PUART or SPI using some application defined protocol. If you are planning to run the BT stack on the MCU and you want to use HCI to communicate with the Bluetooth chip, then Broadcom has other parts for such use cases. Please contact the distributor in your region.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Is this interest related to production programming of the part (HCI UART is used for programming the part)?

If so, this thread describes in detail some of the challenges related to programming the part using a custom protocol running on your own micro: Production Programming of BCM20737S

If your interest is in communicating with the BLE device to perform a set of simple tasks, we have something that covers this process using the Peripherhal UART.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

No.  This would be the host controller sending and receiving BLE information from the Wiced SMART chip during normal operation. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My understanding was that the Peripherial UART was used for sensors or external memory and the HCI UART was used for commands and such.  Is that correct?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I've looked through the Read.txt on the example application in SDK 2.1.1 but I don't see where in the descriptions it mentions use of the PUART.  If the PUART is the correct port, which example application uses that in this type of function?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add a little more explanation.  I'm looking specifically for what I would need to implement on the host controller in order to communicate with the SDK running on the Wiced SMART.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Shellpry,

Let us know if you find this post useful:

Re: Could you provide sample code using UART communication between BCM20732 and MCU?

This document, WICED™ Smart Hardware Interfaces shows the use of the PUART.

Thanks,

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading the information in your link, it sounds to me like there is no defined communication procotol (API) to talk with the BT stack level (HCI) from an external component.  The only available hardware connection would be the PUART and we would need to create our own UART protocol and handler on each side (host controller and 20737) of the PUART connection in order to communication information/commands.  Is that correct?

If that is the case, then what is the purpose of the HCI UART? Isn't that designed to accept the HCI commands as defined by the Bluetooth SIG? 

0 Likes

The 20732, 20736 and 20737 are not intended to be used as traditional HCI controllers. The designed use is for applications where the stack and the host are completely embedded in the 2073x. So you don't need the BT stack on the host. If you plan to interface this with an MCU the communication between 2073x and the MCU should be over PUART or SPI using some application defined protocol. If you are planning to run the BT stack on the MCU and you want to use HCI to communicate with the Bluetooth chip, then Broadcom has other parts for such use cases. Please contact the distributor in your region.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  That clarifies things for me. 

0 Likes