PSoC 5: FreeRTOS

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ShVy_264716
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

Hi All

I am starting the things of porting FreeRTOS on PSoC 5. I am creating this thread to invite and interact with all the people who are working on RTOS with PSoC. People with the experience of porting RTOS on PSoC are requested to share their knowledge starting from the scratch, just like explaining to a rookie. People like me, who are in rookie catagory, please feel free to put on any kind of RTOS+PSoC related queries. As an ice breaking session, I put my first query as a rookie here:

Anyone who will share RTOS concepts (FreeRTOS would be more appreciable, but any RTOS would do here) related documentation, tools, weblinks and reference books would be heartily appreciated.

Happy RTOSing, buddies.

Regards

Shaunak the RTOS+PSoC Rookie

0 Likes
15 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

FreeRTOS is already available for PSoC5 and PSoC4: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=100807&cache=0 (together with µc/OS II and embOS.

Also, see the FreeRTOS demo: http://www.freertos.org/FreeRTOS-port-and-demo-for-Cypress-PSoC5-CY8C5588-Cortex-M3.html

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

What about writing an own Real-Time-Operating-System for PSoC4?

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

This might be a good learning experience, but otherwise its probably faster and more reliable to stay with a proven RTOS...

0 Likes
ShVy_264716
Level 4
Level 4

To hli : I will definitely look forward to the links that you shared. Thank you.

To Bob : designing and developing own RTOS on PSoC 4 or PSoC 5 is very welcome. Let us work out how to put it in pipe as soon as possible.

To hli : Proven RTOS are appreciated, but those do not put an end to the development of RTOS. Think over it.

To CDC Administration : Can the contributing people share their contact details in thread posts? I am asking this because the "Friending" feature is still under development by CYPRESS.

Regards

Shaunak

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

There are different choices we have, we could use something like SourceForge for instance. I personally do not like to communicate about a project like this in this forum, the thread's bandwidth will definitively disturb following up other posts in different threads. There is another forum we could use for this purposes at www.psocdeveloper.com/forum/, there are private mails, posts that are edible 😉 and some other features, but a rarely used forum. Get registered and we will see more.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

It all depends on your need. If you are experimenting with RTOSes, or trying to learn how they work, writing your own is perfectly fine - there is no better way to learn about them.

But if your goal is to get running soon, and to develop a stable project, starting from scratch is not the best choice usually (except maybe you need such a light-weight RTOS that all the existing ones cannot be used).

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

If you Google "RTOS Basics" there is no shortage of reference material

to work with.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Final call for people interested in designing and writing an RTOS for PSoC4 /5,

Dana, Hli, 3Lance, not interested at all?

Bob

0 Likes
ShVy_264716
Level 4
Level 4

I kindly request Dana, Hli, 3Lance and all the people to keep this thread active with queries, solutions, knowledge sharing and contributing for the RTOS.

Shaunak

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

I'm interested in using a RTOS (even a new one). But I lack the time to develop a new one 😞

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

@Hli

Not much time needed exept reading mails and -from time-to-time giving your 2ct    🙂

I am mostly interested in the requirements for an rtos that other people have, I do know mine exactly but I have my very own pool of projects I am working on and you have got different approaches.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Oh, I whould always have time to drop 2 cents 🙂

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Great, so I presume you are "on board"!!!!

drop me a mail    briefe at  jmeiersoftware dot de (this is for everyone that likes to join).

Bob

0 Likes
ShVy_264716
Level 4
Level 4

Hey All

Here is my email id: shaunak [dot] mr [at] gmail [dot] com

Anyone that likes to join the RTOS related developing team, drop an email. We will see how we can work with the things.

Shaunak

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

With the new Cypress BLE chips and an M0 core having 16kb of SRam an RTOS with a small footprint designed / designable for the requirements of us users becomes an advantageus tool.!

We are a group of 4 PSoC designers so far, anyone who is interested: drop me an email.

Bob

0 Likes