PSoC3 Boost pins

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KrDe_284951
Level 4
Level 4
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted

In a PSoC3 design we 'forgot' to tie the boost pins Vbat, Vssb and Vboost to GND (we don't use the boost convertor). What side effects are to be expected from this error? Is it safe to do so? Is there a possibility that the PSoC might fail to run or stop running at any given time?

0 Likes
7 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You will get reliable informations only from Cypress, so best will be to create a MyCase.

Use at top of this page "Support & Community -> Technical Support -> Create a MyCase".

Bob

0 Likes
KrDe_284951
Level 4
Level 4
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted

Thanks.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You're welcome.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

There would be no observable behavior or reliabilty issue with any of the scenarioes above.  The boost circuit is well isolated from the rest of the PSoC device. 

If there is any risk of VBAT being shorted to a supply avaliable on the board, then the boost would draw current and drive VBOOST to ~1.3V (assuming not accidental inductors 😉 between IND and VBOOST).     

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a similar situation where unfortunately our PCB was released with pin 22 (IND) attached to ground.  According to the documentation and reference designs this pin is left floating (unconnected).  What are the side effects (if any) of having this pin attached to ground. (The Vssb, Vb and Vbat are attached to ground as they should be)

Regards,

Ron

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Ron,

questions like that are best answered by Cypress. Suggesting to create a technical case.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do.  But I can tell you I modified one of our boards and lifted the pin.  It did correct an issue the device was experiencing at application startup time.

Regards,

Ron

0 Likes