Standalone bootloader host download?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dari_292216
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

Is there a standalone bootloader host application for download somewhere?  Or do I have to tell others to download the whole Creator software if they want to update their firmware?

1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi, Len:

I have created an installer that will provide what you want: Just the PSoC bootloader host along with any additional files that it needs.  Like the other developers on this thread, I needed something that I could deploy to field personnel without them having to install the entire IDE.  My installer uses the files from PSoC Creator 4.4.  It is attached here but may also be accessed via this link.  Please do let me know if you have any problems.

PlusPlus

View solution in original post

28 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

These should help -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=50230    AN68272  UART Bootloader

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=57561     AN73503 USB Bootloader

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=41002     AN60317 I2C Bootloader

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you want to develop a custom bootloader Host application (as I suspect you want) you can take a look at the files located in

C:\Program Files\Cypress\PSoC Creator\3.0\PSoC Creator\cybootloaderutils

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

This video as well might be useful -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=51139

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Were you able to create a stand alone bootloader host?   If so, would you pass along any insights you may have?

Thanks,

Ron

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There are working example projects for bootloaders in Creator, Just use "Find example project". Or is there something you mean by "Stand alone" which I do not understand?

Bob

0 Likes
dari_292216
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

The original question was simply if Cypress distributes the bootloader tool in Creator on its own (as a stand-alone applicaiton), or if the whole Creator suite has to be downloaded and installed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wanting an answer to the same question: it would be great if the whole shebang didn't have to be downloaded!

ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Look at the second ap note, shows how to build a host program -

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an73854-psoc-3-psoc-4-and-psoc-5lp-introducti...      AN73503 PSoC® 3, PSoC 4, and PSoC 5LP Introduction To Bootloaders

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an68272-psoc-3-psoc-4-and-psoc-5lp-uart-bootl...                       AN68272 UART BL     PSOC 3, 4, 5LP

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an60317-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-i2c-bootloader                                         AN60317 I2C BL         PSOC 3, 5LP

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an73503-usb-hid-bootloader-psoc-3-and-psoc-5l...                               AN73503 USB HID BL with GUI Host     PSOC 3, 5LP

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an86526-psoc-4-i2c-bootloader                                                                                     AN86526 - PSoC® 4  I2C Bootloader

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an68272-psoc-3-psoc-4-and-psoc-5lp-uart-bootl...                                       AN68272 - PSoC® 3, PSoC 4 and PSoC 5LP UART Bootloader

http://www.cypress.com/forum/psoc-3-known-problems-and-solutions/multi-application-bootloader

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just noticed this topic.  Nick Johnson built cyflash Python script, but it doesn't seem to work with the current versions of the bootloader.  (I haven't gotten a chance to look into it yet, I just know that it crashes on the cyacd file format).  Has anyone else found a solution to this before I spend the time to get something working?  Thanks.

Like others have pointed out, I don't want people to need to download a 604MB file (creators current size) just to download a new version of firmware on their boards.  (That, and creator only supports windows platforms).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too would like a standalone bootloader programming host.  It doesn't need to have any branding, so a generic (or Cypress branded) app would be just fine.  I built the visual studio project that is attached with the app note AN73503 and I can debug and run the program without any hickups.  However when I release the program and try and run it on a computer without visual studio installed the program runs up until I press the "program" button, then it says it can't find the "BootLoader_Utils.dll" (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E).  I've tried placing the dll in the same folder as the exe and in the windows system 32 folder.  I'm not very familiar with visual studio.  Does anyone have a portable bootloader host working?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I try the USB Bootloader of the AN73503 but I have the same issue with the same Error Exception 0x8007007E when I try to program my device...

So, I need a generic Stand-Alone application (.exe program) for Windows to Bootload and upgrade firmware without need to install the whole Creator Suite

I had this same problem as Jimmy and Andres and tracked down the issue to the wrong dll in the Release folder provided by Cypress in AN73503__001-73503_0G.  The Cypress provided Bootloader Host Project (VS C# 2010) or USBBootloaderHost sample for C#  has Bootloader_Utils.dll in the Debug folder but Bootload_Utils.dll (note no 'er') in the Release folder.  You must copy the Bootloader_Utils.dll to the Release folder then distribute along with CyUSB.dll and the USBBootloaderHost.exe.  No need to have Creator, PSoC Programmer or Visual Studio ever installed.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also experimenting with the cyflash tool (https://github.com/arachnidlabs/cyflash.git), still in process of adapting it to Python 3.

However it's interesting to note another thing: CyBtldrCommWrite function has a parameter 'count' that says 'Pointer to an unsigned short variable to write the number of bytes actually written.'. However the function is in turn called by Bootloader_WritePacket that just returns the error status, that is if CyBtldrCommWrite happens to write less than requested the whole process will fail. I agree this may not be the case in I2C/UART/SPI scenarios, but I am developing a CANbus based bootloader and the situation is different. My point is: the documentation is not clear about this fact and the pointer parameter is useless. I will implement the "packetization" in my own code, but if Cypress is interested I can put it in the generated code and share it for an updated bootloader component.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello andresnavas, make shure that you are runnuing software in 32bit mode, also there is an error in CyUSB.dll file

in line 

//First Byte in buffer holds the Report ID
                BootloaderHIDDevice.Outputs.DataBuf[0] = BootloaderHIDDevice.Outputs.ID;

DataBuf is created but not initialized, try to find older version of this library, or you can fix it directly.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a very similar issue.
I'm deveoping an I2C based multi master system using an arduino as the 'main' master.
I'd like to be able to update the software on the PSOCs using the arduino so that the end user only has to update the firmware on the arduino to update the PSOCs as well.
Can anyone help me out with this?

0 Likes
ZiSh_3434191
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 5 questions asked First like received

This is an old thread, but I have not seen a simple answer.  Is the Windows-based Bootloader Host tool available as a small download from the Infineon website?

We are developers.  Our customers are not.  We need the full PSoC Creator suite.  Our customers do not.

Our customers occasionally need to update firmware.  They need a Bootloader Host GUI program, and that is all they need.  

It is ridiculous to expect us to develop our own Bootloader Host.  It already exists, bundled with PSoC Creator. 

It is also ridiculous to require every customer to download and maintain the entire PSoC Creator Suite, just to access a very simple UART function. 

This should be available as a small download.

0 Likes

ZiSh,

What PSoC part are you using for your design?

Most PSoCs have a "Bootloader" component to allow code you generate that contains a "Bootloadable" component to be loaded using the "PSoC Programmer" utility.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
ZiSh_3434191
Level 3
Level 3

Len,

This is not the answer to our question.  There is no problem creating a Bootloader or Bootloadable.  This is done easily, using the respective PSoC components.  They work fine, and loading the Bootloadable over a UART is done easily with the Bootloader Host app that is included in PSoC Creator.

But PSoC Creator is 660MB.  It is not reasonable to ask every customer to download and install such enormous SDK that is very resource intensive.  Yes, we need it to develop the product, but field upgrades should be doable by a monkey.  All they need is the Bootloader Host GUI.  This GUI should be available as a "stand-alone" download.

This is the same question asked by the OP, and there is still no simple answer.

(I am using CYBLE222014-01, but that has nothing to do with this question.  I am only using the wired UART component, so please don't tell me how to do it over BLE and CySmart.  I do know how to do it over BLE, but this is just a wired UART project, requiring just a wired UART solution.)

0 Likes
lock attach

ZiSh,

PSoC Programmer has always been available as a separate download.

Link: PSoC_Programmer_2.30 

This program works well if you're not using "Bootloader" and "Bootloadable"

However if you are looking for a standalone version of the "Bootloader Host" program maybe these links will help:

AN73503_PSoC_USB_HID_Bootloader-ApplicationNotes 

USB_Bootloader_Host - source code 

From what I can see, Cypress never released the "Bootloader Host" as a separate program.  

I've zipped the "Bootloader Host" executable and config files.    However this might not be enough to execute the program.  It might call for DLLs that have not been included but get installed when Creator is installed.

Len
0 Likes
ZiSh_3434191
Level 3
Level 3

Len, 

Thanks for trying.  I've put your bootloader_host.exe on a computer with no PSoC Creator.  The .exe and .config files are on the Desktop, along with the two .dll files mentioned by  above.   It doesn't run.

I think there is a basic misunderstanding here between Cypress engineers and Cypress customers.  I am a Cypress customer, and like all Cypress customers, I have a KitProg, so I can use PSoC Programmer. 

There is a third group of people to consider, who are one step further removed: end-users of the devices created by Cypress customers.  These are the monkeys who use the devices in the field.  These monkeys don't have KitProgs (so they can't use PSoC Programmer).  This is the entire reason why bootloaders and bootloadables are needed --  so monkeys in the field can update firmware over a simple UART.

Cypress engineers have provided a perfectly functional toolset to do this, comprising three items:  the Bootloader component, the Bootloadable component, and the Bootloader_Host application.   However, Cypress engineers have only distributed the Bootloader_Host application as an integrated part of PSoC Creator.  They are missing the whole point.  This is the application that the monkeys need. 

Sure, Cypress customers (like me) can re-create a Bootloader Host application, using AN73503.  Three things:

1.  AN73503 assumes we are connecting through USB (not a COM port).  Sure, we can modify it.  What if we don't know how?  We develop embedded devices, not Windows apps.  How much time and effort should we spend on this?  Looking through the litany of difficulties others have encountered while attempting to follow the ap-note (see above), the support for this feature is inadequate.

2.  Imagine you have a guest for dinner.  He sneezes, and asks for a tissue.  Instead of giving him the box of Kleenex on the coffee table, you ask him to buy a chainsaw, cut down a tree, grind it into pulp, press it into cardboard, form a box, and figure out how to fill it with his own tissue paper.  This is what Cypress is doing when they ask us to rebuild the host app (install Visual Studio, download files, cut and paste code snippets, create DLLs, modify code to enable COM ports, debug, and publish).

3.  As developers, asking our end-user to download PSoC Creator when we want to publish an update is analogous to asking our sneezy guest to buy our house to get the box of Kleenex on the coffee table.  This is incredibly rude, but it is what we have been forced to do.  I'm sure there are other Cypress customers who have done this, and it is embarrassing to ask this of our end-users.  

Cypress engineers really need to understand that we need this as a small downloadable app.

--zim

0 Likes

zim,

I was finally able to find a PC without a PSoC Creator application loaded.

You are correct.  The Bootloader Host executable by itself does not run.

I agree.  Cypress should have provided  Bootloader Host as a stand-alone.

They did provide the source code for a stand-alone using the USB interface.  It can be converted to use UART if someone wants to go through the trouble.

Len
0 Likes
lock attach

Hi, Len:

I have created an installer that will provide what you want: Just the PSoC bootloader host along with any additional files that it needs.  Like the other developers on this thread, I needed something that I could deploy to field personnel without them having to install the entire IDE.  My installer uses the files from PSoC Creator 4.4.  It is attached here but may also be accessed via this link.  Please do let me know if you have any problems.

PlusPlus

@PlusPlus 

I LOVE YOU.  ❤️

--zim

PlusPlus,

Thank you.

Len
petar
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First like given Welcome!

Can I ask you to provide sources or it is too much? 🙂

Thank you

0 Likes

Hi,

This is great, thanks - just what I needed.

Do you have access to the source code for the project and, if so, would it be possible to get a copy as I'd like to build it into an application that I am writing.   I have a working USB Bootloader Host and could possibly adapt that but it would be easier to have the UART version to start with.

Hopefully you can help me out

0 Likes
PlusPlus
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored First like given First like received

Glad to be of assistance.

0 Likes
petar
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First like given Welcome!

awsome!

Thank you

0 Likes