PWM signal behaviour is not predictable

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I configured one GPIO pin as PWM signal by using API call CyU3PGpioSetComplexConfig. Measured signal waveform was different to program code. It seems threshold value was not set, so PWM signal was half the frequency with a duty-cycle of 50%.

To check behaviour I used following program code:

volatile uint32_t                   period    = 100800;
volatile uint32_t                   threshold = 1000;

while (1)
{

CyU3PThreadSleep (250);

DBG_INFO_VALUE("thershold = ", threshold);
   status = CyU3PGpioComplexUpdate (FX3_FPGA_TRIG_FX3, threshold, period - 1);
   threshold += 1000;
   if (threshold > period)
      threshold = 1000;
}

I expect to see a PWM signal with increasing duty-cycle. Duty-cycle never become equal or greater than 100% and when close to 100% duty-cycle “jumps” back to nearly 0%. PWM frequency is 1kHz.

--> Measured signal is different: Duty-cycle is increasing and then decreasing.

For lower PWM frequency (1Hz to 10Hz?) it seems there is a problem with very small or very large duty cycles. These values are not “excepted”, signal stays low or high.

And as last point, it seems not possible to define start value for a PWM signal. This means it seems signal is inverted!

Did someone run into the same problem?

Frank

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We have noticed an issue with the threshold level not being reflected correctly for high PWM frequencies.

I think a similar issue is also seen here with low frequencies. We will check on this as well.

We do not have an update as of now for working around this issue. We will update the forums when we have this available.

Btw, you can set the initial value of your PWM signal using the outvalue parameter of the CyU3PGpioComplexConfig_t structure.

-Shashank

0 Likes
arasc_296896
Level 3
Level 3

If I use period 2 and threshold 1 , then i get 32MHz and if I use period 3 and threshold 2, then I get 42MHz ! the 50% duty cycle doesnt even show up on the wave on higher frequencies. Why this wierd behaviour and is there any actual conversion available ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The issue seems to be because of a fault in the GPIO block logic of Fx3.

We have investigated and found these results:

Clk_src = SYS_CLK = 384 MHz
Fast_clk = SYS_CLK/2
Pin_mode = PWM
Timer_mode = High_freq (fast_clk)

1. If you set PERIOD to 3 and THRESHOLD to 1, you get a PWM waveform with 50%
duty cycle; and a frequency of (SYS_CLK / (2 * 8)) (~24 MHz).
2. If you set PERIOD to 3 and THRESHOLD to 2, you get a PWM waveform with 50%
duty cycle; and a frequency of (SYS_CLK / (2 * 4)) (~48 MHz).

Setting the THRESHOLD to 1 is causing some issues for the PWM generation as a whole. However, the THRESHOLD should be set to 2 in this case to get a 50% duty cycle.

Regards

Shashank

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem and couldn't resolve. I have to adjust the PWM signal for an LED and I have the same problem as mentioned above.

Unlike the period and threshold values being used here, I am using PERIOD = 201600-1 and THRESHOLD = 50400-1 (following the examples given in the SDK). I am not sure how you calculate the PWM duty cycle and the frequency with the values as PERIOD = 3, THRESHOLD = 1,2...

It would be very helpful, If you could explain the calculations and if you have solved the issue kindly update with the same.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
arasc_296896
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for resolving. 

0 Likes