1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 4:38 AM by DaKn_263916 Go to original post
      • 15. Re: PSoC1 Eval Kit
        DaKn_263916

If you do Read modify Write operations on a port you need to use

shadow register. Discussed here -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2900     AN2094 - PSoC® 1 - Getting Started with GPIO

Regards, Dana.

• 16. Re: PSoC1 Eval Kit
          DaKn_263916

@Dana: why "lesser pillar"? Just because I am for 5 minutes on place# 1 and you on place# 2?? That's going to change back within a matter of hours...

Bob, I did not know there is a # 1 position. Wow, does one get crowned, robes, jewel encrusted

shoes ? I am so looking forward to Medieval that. How does one find out if they are # 1, error rate,

knowledge, customer interface.......

Should this discussion really be in a customer request for assistance thread ? Should we be apologizing

to Chris for inappropriate thread content ? I think so. My apologies Chris, I will stay on topic.

Dana.

• 17. Re: PSoC1 Eval Kit
            JoMe_264151

Dana, I did not name you "Lesser Pillar of Knowledge" and I was questionig why you did that. And maybe I've forgotten to put a smiley onto that post, forgive me for getting off the point (which is undoubtfully the forgotten "&&")

Bob

• 18. Re: PSoC1 Eval Kit
              ChDe_285186

Hmm,.  Did either of you actually try to run the code as written. Because it works. I was not asking for your corrections just that you try to verify the results that I was seeing.

• 19. Re: PSoC1 Eval Kit
                JoMe_264151

No, I did not run the code. For me it is quite clear that the code behaves exactly as you described. the double "if" for the second part does exactly what you wanted to do, it replaces a logical "AND". So what question remains for you?

Bob

• 20. Re: PSoC1 Eval Kit
                  ChDe_285186

The original question was why does the first if statement with the two parts "&"ed (46) work when exactly the same type of expression later (55) will not work. I must separate the parts into two if statements at (55) for a sucessful step.

Chris

• 21. Re: PSoC1 Eval Kit
                    JoMe_264151

Chris,

I tried to explain the difference between "&" and "&&"

The "single" operators are named "bit wise" operators and that is exactly the way they work on bytes, words and so on. They do not work as the "double" operators which are named "logical" operators and they are working on boolean variables which are usually 8 bit values. Apart from the "double" operators there exist two NOT operators: The logical "!" and the bit-wise "~".An Example: !5 is equal to 0x00 (because 5 is true per definition and !TRUE is equal to FALSE, which is 0 per definition) while the expression ~5 is equal to ~0b000 0101 which is 0b1111 1010.

So coming back to your original statements

The expression (~PRT0DR & 0x02) will be handled bit-wise and will give the result 0x00 or 0x02.

The expression (Power > 0) is a logical expression and will deliver 0x00 (false) or 0x01 (true)

Now you perform a bit-wise AND of these two values which will ALWAYS result in 0x00 which is false per definition.

0x02 bit-wise ANDed with 0x01 will always be 0x00

When you use the logical operator "&&" the situation looks different:

0x02 is per definition true, anded with another value of "true" will give the result you expect to happen.

Bob

• 22. Re: PSoC1 Eval Kit
                      ChDe_285186

OK. Its the ~ that confused me.  From my reading I determined that the ~ would deliver the conjugate of the expression. If the expression was TRUE then in the conjugate  we would need a FALSE to satisfy the expression. I was not aware that the ~ also forced a bitwisw evaluation of the expression.

And i have just run a quick test to satisfy myself that I understand.

I could use the ~ and the && or I could use the ! and the &. Both formats work equally as well in the test project.

Chris

• 23. Re: PSoC1 Eval Kit
                        JoMe_264151

There is another common pitfall I have seen rather often:

Since FALSE is defined to be 0 (zero) TRUE is defined to be !FALSE (which both you may #define yourself)

So if(b == FALSE) will always run as expected, but

if(b == TRUE) will not. Even the equivalent to the first if(!(b == TRUE)) will go amiss.

The reason for this is that the compiler has an internal representation of TRUE (which is usually 1) Comparing any value to TRUE will compare it to 1 which usually is not what you want.

if(b) questions b !=0 (as the definition for TRUE and FALSE is) and can easily be used without the compareision with "=="

Bob

• 24. Re: PSoC1 Eval Kit
                          DaKn_263916

A useful C book attached.

Don't forget to use shadow registers....

Regards, Dana.

1 2 Previous Next