PSoC Creator 3.0 Code Editor SLOW!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiSt_296941
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked
        I a having a very frustrating issue. When typing code - even just a comment - in the code editor, it hesitates so much I have to wait 2-3 seconds for it to catch up to my typing. I even have "Enable semantic parsing" turned OFF - which did make a difference. I have installed Creator on 3 different machines with various results - operating on the same project. Two machines are identical - descent i5 machines with 12GB ram. One is considerably faster in editing and compiling, but editing is still painful. The other machine is a laptop with much worse specs but has very little software installed on it. Code editing is fine on this machine - compiling not so much but that is to be expected because it has less ram and slower processor... It appears that the two desktop machines have other software on them that is causing the problem with Creator...of course I don't want to wipe them and start over...Any ideas?   
0 Likes
17 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Are the files you edit on a network with a slow connection? Exactly under those circumstances I have similar experiences.

Bob

0 Likes
MiSt_296941
Level 4
Level 4
        No. It is true that the Project resides on a server but we have a 100Mb Ethernet connection. Plus all three computers I tried were on the same network accessing the same Project on the server.   
0 Likes
MiSt_296941
Level 4
Level 4
        One more thing to add. On one desktop which is the slowest, just switching between applications has a huge delay. For example, I open a datasheet in Adobe for a component. When I click on the Creator window, it can take 4-8 seconds for Creator to respond! The reverse is not true. Selecting any other running application causes it to obtain focus and function correctly immediately.   
0 Likes
ScottA_91
Employee
Employee
10 solutions authored 100 replies posted 50 replies posted
        So, first question, if you move the project locally, do you see the same behavior?   

If so it may be an issue with .Net.   

If the problem goes away when you move the project to the local hard drive, then we know there's a network related issue. In that case, having an understand of the share server (is a Windows server, if so, what version, if Linux, the distro, kernel, and samba version) as well as the disk storage (is it a raid array, a disk in the server, something else) would be very helpful for reproducing and fixing the issue you're having.   
0 Likes
ScottA_91
Employee
Employee
        One more thing to look at is your anti-virus software logs. Sometimes real time scanning can interfere badly with network devices.   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

First try: look for a folder in the windows search path that does not exist or you do not have access right to. This will always induce a delay.

Bob

0 Likes
MiSt_296941
Level 4
Level 4
        OK...seems that putting in on my C drive makes the problems go away...except that now it won't get backed up every night... Any ideas what to do to fix the sluggishness. We are using Server 2008 on our servers.   
0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Just use any backup program to backup the projects / Creator to the server prior to shutting down your computer. E.g. SyncBack, Robocopy, whatever...

Working over a network is slow. Doing so with random access makes it even slower. The only remedy is local caching, which is what you just did...

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I have a network and access my server (win vista) via a wireless(!!) network, so speed is comparable slow. There is a small delay in the work noticeable, but not so much that it does disturb the working / typing. On the workstation there is no drive connected to the workspace,instead I use the \\Server\Share\Project specifying the working folder. Installation of Creator is on the local drive.

I would suggest you to tell your problems to your local network guru.

Bob

0 Likes
ScottA_91
Employee
Employee
        Okay, well now that I know a little bit about your setup, I can try to reproduce it.   

A tiny bit of background, I'm responsible for the performance tests of Creator build and compile, including having a project on a network drive. That server is based on Suse Linux, using Samba. The performance tests have not shown any issues, which is why I needed to know how you had things setup.   

It seems some networks, people see horrible performance with Windows Server 2008. Here's one thing you could try:    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-030717.htm
0 Likes
ScottA_91
Employee
Employee
        So I have some good news and bad news on this. I was able to reproduce a case where the editor started to slow down.   

In order to do so, I have 19,000+ lines in my main and the problems went away when I turned the inteliprompt off.   

I realize I'm being silly here, but just to confirm, when turning inteliprompt off you're restarting the program correct?   

Is there anything else about your network that I should know about?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having this issue and more.  I am running a pretty high performance workstation: Levono W530, 32Gb Ram, super fast SSD, 2GB video card, etc.  The text editing is painfully slow.  Even when writing comments it can take several seconds between the actual keystroke and the letters appearing on screen.  It's much worse when inteliprompt is on.

I have tried reloading my OS (win 8.1) and reinstalling Psoc Creator to no avail.  I was hoping SP2 would help, but it didn't.  Worse than just slow, on a daily basis, or more often, it actually crashes on me.  I get an "System.OutOfMemoryException" and psoc crashes.  I have taken to saving every 30 seconds or so, but the status quo is unworkable.

My main is about 4000 lines, with spaces and comments, (probably half that of actual code).  The project resides on my local hard drive.  

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Do you see same effect when typing on a word processor ?

I have had mouse and wirless drivers do that to me in the past.

Its a bit of a crap shoot trying to find these issues.I use task

manager and start looking at stuff taking high CPU loads.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Is your PC connected to any network? When supervising your PC with the task-manager are there any limits reached?

Bob

0 Likes
StFa_285751
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Shot in the dark but:

I came to this page because the code editor was running unbelievably slowly (files local)...waiting 5 seconds for a keystroke to appear or to change the cursor to the next line.

My issue turned out to be a scheduled Microsoft Sync Centre process working in the background.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Thank you for your hint! When one has got a good-running system (as I have) it is difficult to guess what an issue may be that slows down your performance. Having a look into the windows task-manager will reveil at least some local bottlenecks.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Windows process explorer a step up, and other alternatives -

http://lifehacker.com/5378494/five-best-windows-task-manager-alternatives

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes