blecm_setTxPowerInConnection() and bleprofile_CFGRegister()

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a couple of question regarding adjust various items in the BLE_PROFILE_CFG structure.  In particular initially the case is to adjust the Tx Power during the connection.  I have seen other posts in which it is indicated that the blecm_setTxPower().  I have implemented a routine that every 5 seconds it changes the output Tx power as using the blecm_setTxPower() starting from -25dBm to +4 dBm and I see no changes in RSSI strength using several different BLE iOS apps that can read RSSI.  To help prove nothing was being changed I also measured the power consumption of the device during the connection as the Tx Power was being adjusted from -25 to +4Bm and I saw zero change in the Peak current in the Tx pulses.  Some questions regarding this are blow...

1) Does the blecm_setTxPower() function actually modify the BLE_PROFILE_CFG .tx_power_level?  I am not imagining so as this struct is typically defined as a CONST.  What setting/register specifically is the blecm_setPower() modifying?

2)  Is there another way to modify the Tx Power and/or the BLE_PROFILE_CFG struct elements?  For example I have changed the CONST definition of the BLE_PROFILE_CFG in the app and verified that I can change the individual elements but I am not sure if this is a safe method to do this.  I.E. - Are there specific reasons why the BLE_PROFILE_CFG needs to be defined as a CONST?

3)  I have seen the bleprofile_CFGRegister() function in bleprofile.h and from the general description it almost seems like this function would allow a user to modify the BLE_PROFILE_CFG structure.  Is that correct?  Could you provide a simple example of how to use this function?

Regards,

Frank

0 Likes
1 Solution

embeddedmasters

I spoke to the developers/team about the concerns relayed above related to testing whether or not Tx Xmit power changes have been made and they agreed with santol 's post related to measuring current to determine the change.

In addition, RSSI is also not effective.

Here is the feedback:

Not only that, there are two unknowns – TX power and distance. RSSI alone is not sufficient. ADV can include the TX power. Once you know the TX power and the RSSI, you can calculate the path loss and so get a fair idea about the distance (assuming free space). If there are other idems, multipath etc. then things will be incorrect. So, in general, RSSI is not very reliable 

MBT is another tool we include which makes changes to the Tx power levels at the HCI layer, but it will not verify that the functions you noted in the original post are being called and the setting changed.

It seems that at this point, a spectrum analyzer may be the only means by which you can verify the change is being made.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an additional comments I am also looking for a way to modify the initial BLE_PROFILE_CFG structure later in the application from user input hence part of the reason for asking if bleprofile_CFGRegister() and whether this structure has good reasons for being defined as a CONST.

Regards,

Frank

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I will ask the developers to respond.

0 Likes

Adding cjurdane vsesto santol

As they were struggling with this problem as well.

Changing TX Power In WICED Smart

Re: Power level granularity in blecm_setTxPowerInConnection() and blecm_setTxPowerInADV()

As santol mentioned, one would think the current draw would indeed tightly track the transmit power level.  However the radio is only on for a very short period of time and without a power meter to measure the consumption at very fast intervals, you probably won't even see the increase when using a traditional ammeter.

This same issue may plague using RSSI for validation of this operation as well.

Unless these gentleman know and can share with us what they ended up trying, I will need to check around internally to see if anyone knows the best way to verify whether or not the Tx power level has changed.

0 Likes

embeddedmasters

I spoke to the developers/team about the concerns relayed above related to testing whether or not Tx Xmit power changes have been made and they agreed with santol 's post related to measuring current to determine the change.

In addition, RSSI is also not effective.

Here is the feedback:

Not only that, there are two unknowns – TX power and distance. RSSI alone is not sufficient. ADV can include the TX power. Once you know the TX power and the RSSI, you can calculate the path loss and so get a fair idea about the distance (assuming free space). If there are other idems, multipath etc. then things will be incorrect. So, in general, RSSI is not very reliable 

MBT is another tool we include which makes changes to the Tx power levels at the HCI layer, but it will not verify that the functions you noted in the original post are being called and the setting changed.

It seems that at this point, a spectrum analyzer may be the only means by which you can verify the change is being made.

0 Likes

I had another member of the team confirm with me today that in order to validate the desired change, that you need a spectrum analyzer with a peak hold setting.

As it turns out, BLE doesn’t have true power control as it uses a form of fixed power. However, the function calls themselves can enable advertising at one fixed level and connection power at another.

Advertising should be pretty easy to analyze since it’s only on 3 channels and really a tx only function.

For connections, since you’ll want to go conducted, you’ll need to use some circulators to remove the TX of the central/scanner device from the input of the spectrum analyzer, or if you can probably get away with putting a 20dB+ attenuator, on the central/scanner.  That should knock it down enough to distinguish it’s TX from the peripheral.

Once you do that, just do peak hold, for the entire BW, or a specific channel, you’ll just have to wait for the hops to populate.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used blecm_setTxPowerInConnection() and

verified it actually changes TX power by using BLE sniffer.

One thing to note is that blecm_setTxPowerInConnection() should be called before making connection.

It had no effect for the already active connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Myung,

That is the 'Golden' answer.  My expectation was that I could 'dynamically' change the TX Power level after a connection was made.  In observing the Tx with an Energy Meter and looking at RSSI strength I saw zero difference going from -25dBm to +4dBm but as you indicate the function is only valid if it is used 'Before' a connection is established.

Thanks for the clarification!!

Regards,

Frank