Combine PLD based components and Datapath components

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear developer community,

I have a problem with understanding the creation of components with PSoC Creator.

In the tutorials I learned to create PLD based Verilog Components and to create Datapath based Components with the UBD Editor or the Datapath Configuration tool.

And I learned that the PLDs are designed to solve combinatorial logic and the Datapaths are designed to solve arithmetic operations.

And I learned that the most efficent way to programm a PSoC it is to combine this kinds of components.

Now my question:

Do I have to decide which component I use for every single component?

Or is there any tool which uses both components (PLD based and Datapath based), to create the most efficent component?

Thank you for your effort and best regards

Raphi

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

A component design may consist of PLD-design plus DataPath design all kept in a single Verilog file.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Raphi, welcome in the forum and in the fascinating world of PSoCs!

The only tool needed to combine PLD and DataPath is VeriLog. You may use a single file to describe both parts of your component.

Did you already read the Component Author Guide?

What development kit are you using? And what do you want to perform with your component?

Bob

PS: I am located near Bremen, where do you live?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thank you for your quick answer.

I read the Component Author Guide in this moment. And I watched some video Tutorials. Maybe I did not understand it right. But I thing that they differ between PLD based Components and Datapath based Components.

I do not want to perform something spezial in the moment, I want to compare the productivity of the PsoC with other FPGAs.

I am using the Development kit CY8CKIT- 001

PS: And Iam located near to stuttgart

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Both UBD Editor and Datapath Configuration Tool deliver VeriLog output, the config tool additionally is ment to copy and paste the generated code into your own file. Did you already succeed in using the already configured components?

When configuring a Datapath for more than 8-bit width there are some helpful cheat-sheets, look here www.cypress.com/search.cfm

Bob

PS: Are you planning to visit "embedded world" in Nürnberg end of February

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I implemented some easy Functions with API Generation, Schematics and PLD based Components (Symbol Wizard). Now my next step is to implement some functions with Datapath based Components.

Sorry for asking again, but why I differ between PLD based Component and Datapath based Components?

When the most efficient way of programming ist to combine them?

I have a Verilog Code for both kinds of components. Does the PLD based components only use PLDs and does the Datapath components only use Datapaths?

I hope you undertsand my problem 🙂

I did not her something about the embedded world in Nürnberg. I very new in this topic 🙂

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

A component design may consist of PLD-design plus DataPath design all kept in a single Verilog file.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok Bob thank you very much

0 Likes