Using Miniprog3 with PSoC 5LP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never used miniprog3 before and can't seem to figure out how to set it up. I've looked at the setups guides and datasheets but I keep getting the "PSoC device is not acquired! " error reguardless if I choose JTAG or SWD in PSoC Programmer. The board I'm using is PSoC 5LP CY8C5868AXI-LP035. I'm also not too sure where to plug the miniprog in on the board as there are 2 headers that fit the ribbon cable. Both PSoC Creator and PSoC programmer are updated and the drivers for miniprog3 seems to be installed correctly. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? I've also tried messing with the programmer/debugger settings under system in .cydwr

0 Likes
23 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

From the CY8CKIT-050 manual -

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

From the minprog3 quick start guide -

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cy...

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Do not connect the power supply to the Kit-050, set MiniProg3 to SWD 10 pins,  5V power. This usually works.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        At least you need 5V power rail available to enable usb/swd&jtag. Look at some configuration switch to enable the 5V on board regulator from an external power supply. This external power supply need to be high enough (perhaps 8V) for the internal regulator circuits to work properly. Another solution is to power your board from USB as said by Bob Marlowe but it comes with some drawbacks. Personnally I prefer powering the board from a laboraty power supply, IMO it is less risky.   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I did not say "Power the kit via USB"!!!!! I said: let the MiniProg3 power the kit. When powering from externals as USB, battery etc. make darn sure to specify that in the MiniProg3 setting dialog or you may blow your MiniProg3! This exactly is the reason why I do not use another supply when programming any of my devices with a MiniProg3.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The Miniprog3, like the Miniprog1, detects if there is an external

supply and manages its power sourcing appropriately. Should

not have an issue unless external supply out of spec, which means

target is toast as well.

From Minprog3 user manual -

2.3 MiniProg3 LEDs

MiniProg3 provides five indicator LEDs:
Upper Left - Busy: A red LED that lights when an operation (such as programming or debug) is in
progress.
Lower Left - Status: A green LED that lights when the device is enumerated on the USB bus and
flashes when the MiniProg3 receives USB traffic.
Upper Right - Target Power: A red LED that lights to indicate that the MiniProg3 is supplying
power to the target connectors. Note that it does NOT light when target power is detected but not
being supplied by MiniProg3.

Lower Right - Aux: A yellow LED reserved for future use.
Middle - No Label: A yellow LED that indicates the configuration state of the device. It flashes
briefly during the initial configuration of the device. If this LED lights solid, a configuration error
has occurred and MiniProg3 must be disconnected from the USB port and reconnected.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

I want to launch tuner for Capsense CSD, which is only possible with I2C interface.

i have the same problem. But what i have is an old Miniprog from 2004. There are five pins: Vdd, Gnd, XRES, SCLK, SDATA on it. I don't think i can connect them with ribbon band to J3. Because the pins don't match. Can i just mannually connect the pins:

Vdd--VDDD

gnd--gnd

XRES---P1[2]

SCLK---I2C1:SCL (P12[0])

SDAD----I2C1:SDA (P12[1])

Regards.

Sammi

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

No, the miniprog will only b e usable to progam PSoC1 chips. You will need a Miniprog3.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Bob,

i tried to order Miniprog3 online in Germany. But it seems that they only sell it together with the development boards. It is impossible to just order a Miniprog3. There is absolutely no othe way to tune the CapSense without a Miniprog3?

Sammi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can order Miniprog3 directly on the Cypress store ...

Miniprog3 on Cypress Store

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Mouser has them in stock: http://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Cypress-Semiconductor/CY8CKIT-002/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuA5G4ZWgCx0h56ekt...

(and I think you should even get free shipping since its just above 75 EUR)

0 Likes
JiGi_284761
Level 4
Level 4
Welcome!

If you plug the miniprog 3 into something that draws more power than the programmer can supply, it will burn out the output section of the programmer. The lights will still do their thing and it will seem to work but it wont program.

Also if you look at the OP's photo, the miniprog isn't powered up.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I thought the Miniprog3 had output protection, from the user manual -

0 Likes
JiGi_284761
Level 4
Level 4
Welcome!

I read that too. But I have 3 burned out programmers on my desk that say otherwise....

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I will file a CASE on this as it seems in contradiction of the older Miniprog1

which I have misconfigured on numerous occasions, several of them, in a

system with ext power, and not had a problem to date.

See what Cypress has to say.

Anything unusual about your power supply rail, like a KiloVolt or something crazy ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Mouser claims to have 149 pcs. on stock, look here: www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Cypress-Semiconductor/CY8CKIT-002/

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Digikey, 211 in stock -

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/programmers-development-systems/in-circuit-programmers-emul...

Future -

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/development-tools/development-tool-hardware/Pages/6...

Just a plethera of suppliers with stock........

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
JiGi_284761
Level 4
Level 4
Welcome!

@ Dana

All three times I burnt it out was while programming LED 7 segment displays with large current draws ~200ma per numeral and 4-8 numerals that used a common 12vdc power supply.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I filed a case on this, but curious is Miniprog3 getting direct exposure to

12 Vdc power supply ? Might be thats beyond the capability of the short

circuit detection circuits.

Lets see what the factory responds with.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

@SCAS, Tech support asked me the following questions about your

problem -

1. Is the MiniProg3 powering the board while programming or an external supply ?

2. Can you please send the screen-shot of the programming settings that you used for programming ?

3. What is the version of MiniProg3 - Rev*A or *B ?

4. Is this problem occurring in all the MiniProg3 kits or only in some MiniProg3s ?

5. Are you able to program the chip ? What is the version of PSoC Programmer ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If CY8CKIT-050/030 Kits are getting power supply from MiniProg3, then it is required to short Vdda & Vddd pins of PSoC3/5 and use 'Power Cycle' mode to program these kits.

(However, if these kits are getting power from inbuilt USB programmer then these pins are internally shorted. So, it does not required to short externally.)

0 Likes
JiGi_284761
Level 4
Level 4
Welcome!

@Dana

Boards are mainly custom and I use a few of the schmartboard psoc5's for development.

Processors are CY8C5868LTI-LP039

Programming is 5 pin SWD. Sometimes I use reset and other times power cycle. Depends on what works. same with frequency. what ever works.

Boards are unpowered when programmed.

Ill be happy to send a programmer back for someone to take a look at if it helps.

I don't know it they are A or B. The labels are worn off.

Programmer version is always the latest. I usually update as soon as it is available.

They all burnt out when I tried to program a boards with large LED 7 segment displays attached.

I have a brand new Miniprog 3 that is giving me trouble too. It has a hard time acquiring the processors. It might take 10-20 attempts plugging in and unplugging the Miniprog until it acquires the processor. From then on I can program other processors without any trouble. Sometimes when I plug it in it really slows down the computer. Takes it a long time to process data.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that the problem with custom board and Schematic/Layout information is required to find out root cause of this issue. So, it is recommended to create Cypress Technical Support Case for the same.

0 Likes