UART over BLE?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ThBa_282891
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

Is there a possibility to use the BLE module as a simple UART connection (like those chinese hc-06 breakouts)?

I tried a few things but without any sucess.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

There is no standard profile for serial port profile(SPP) for BLE.You have to use custom profile to implement serial port profiles

Do you want your application to work as follows

UART<->BLE(server) over the air to client.i .e what ever the data you send  over UART should reach client over the air via BLE  and whatever client sends data to server, the device pass the data over UART.

is this what you are looking for?

Regards,

Vikas

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

As per the info available in the link http://42bots.com/tutorials/hc-06-bluetooth-module-datasheet-and-configuration-with-arduino/.

the hc-06 breakouts provides the UART TX and RX pins so that we can connect these UART lines to other microcontroller.Please correct me if I am wrong.

PROCBLE/PSOC4 BLE has two SCBs(serial communication blocks).These SCBs can be conifgured as UART/I2C/SPI.

Conifgure one of the SCB as UART and you can use these lines to communicate with other microcontrollers over UART.

Regards,

VIkas.

0 Likes
ThBa_282891
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for the answer VIkas.

I'm afraid thats not what I meant.

Im not looking for UART, I want UART over BLE.

Basically it should look like this: I configure BLE to be recognized as a UART from the Clients. Once the connection is established I can send data (somethign like BLE_UART_WriteChar();) to the client or vice versa. BLE is nice but a I want to get around this profile story and instead send/receive some "raw" data.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

There is no standard profile for serial port profile(SPP) for BLE.You have to use custom profile to implement serial port profiles

Do you want your application to work as follows

UART<->BLE(server) over the air to client.i .e what ever the data you send  over UART should reach client over the air via BLE  and whatever client sends data to server, the device pass the data over UART.

is this what you are looking for?

Regards,

Vikas

0 Likes
ThBa_282891
Level 3
Level 3

exactly.

Well lets see what I can do, creating own profiles is complex to me at the moment as I only do this as a hobbiest.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

refer the project attached by rahul.garg.cy on 04 Feb 2015 in the link http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=5283&rID=104409.

this works similarly as of your requirement

Regards,

Vikas.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I am new to PSoC and am trying to get some pointers on setting up tx and rx pins to a UART on the CYBLE-022001-00 dev kit. 

So far I have assigned the UART:tx to P1[5] and UART:rx to P1[4]. Just need to know how to attach input and output pins.

Thanks.

-Weston

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Weston!

What more do you want to "attach"? When real RS232 is needed you'll have to use a level-shifter like MAX232. What do you want to connect to?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Planetwestoff_1551171,

I am using the same chip and this project allows me the send and recieve UART over BLE at 100kbps

https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/EZ-BLE_PRoC_Module/tree/master/Example_projects/UART_to_BL...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same question.

It appears other platforms have consolidated on a protocol using services with UUID = 6E400002-B5A3-F393-E0A9-E50E24DCCA9E

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like the others who have posted in this forum got it working.

0 Likes