uart half vs full duplex

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am working with cy8ckit-001 with psoc5 module cy8c5868axi-lp035

My design uses most of the resources. 

in my design I have 3 full duplex uart blocks.

When I tried to switch them to half duplex mode 

I had an error that said that there is not enough UDBs left

Which is weird because the half duplex should take less resources vs the full duplex.

What can I do to solve this?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

When looking at thne placement report (the *.rpt file), in the 'Digital Placement' section, one can see that not all UDBs / PLDs / Datapaths are used. I think your problem is that Creator cannout route all the connections that are needed between the different components.

Introducting the half-duplex UART seems to increase the number of product terms that are needed (probably because now the same UDBs have two functions that need to be switched), and together with the address match feature then the PTerms cannot be placed. (Just look at the product terms and input nets of the UART PLDs)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Seems odd in light of resource table in datasheet, but

one cannot tell w/o looking at entire project. If you can

post an archive.

“File”                                                             Creator

“Create Workspace Bundle”

Are the channels totally async to each other, or could you share

one UART across several channels ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thank you for your replay,

The uarts are async and each block transmit different data.

I have attached the project (ignore the pinout notes)

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I would file a CASE on this, seems real odd the results going t0

1/2 duplex.

To create a technical or issue case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you file a case or I should?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

You file the CASE and hopefully you will post back the results.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

I can confirm the problem with Creator 3.1 (you still seem to use 3.0) - switching at least one UART to half duplex makes it not compiling.

But I can resolve that by disabling the hardware adressing feature, that you are using. Do you really need that? It seems quite odd given that the UART is half-duplex, since in that mode it might not be receiving when its address is sent. You even have not enabled the 'on address match' interrupt...

(And I find a bit rate of 110 Hz rather slow, though I know its a standard one)

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

When looking at thne placement report (the *.rpt file), in the 'Digital Placement' section, one can see that not all UDBs / PLDs / Datapaths are used. I think your problem is that Creator cannout route all the connections that are needed between the different components.

Introducting the half-duplex UART seems to increase the number of product terms that are needed (probably because now the same UDBs have two functions that need to be switched), and together with the address match feature then the PTerms cannot be placed. (Just look at the product terms and input nets of the UART PLDs)

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

hli, I am curious as to why you think the routing is challenged. Most connections

being made are to muxes which effect route reduction. What am I missing ?

In the error example 100% of the PLDs used, why do you think that was happening ?

Maybe I just do not understand what it takes logically to make a UART.  I looked at

FPGA and equiv gate count for a Tx + Rx ~ 5K. Seems pretty small to me.

I did not catch the 110 baud, makes one think a super simple UART done in

verilog and muxed between channels a solution. Even using the DFB Assembler

and using the engine to effect the framing. Even a bit banging UART at that datarate.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I once had a project that changing the name of a component(UART I think, but not really sure) and failed to build. Changing the name back to what it was, and all fine. Cypress said that they will have it fixed in the later release, and I have no problem using the workable name. I think it should be fixed with the new creator. I think(but can't remember 100%) It is something to do with how the internal routine changes due to changing of name causing the change of placement sequence.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

I do need the addressing because on each channel there is about 3-4 terminal on the same differential lines, the uart outputs are connected to rs-485 transceivers.

I dont use the interrupt because it didnt work so good as it failed to detect, i will try it in the future again.

About the slow baud, the terminals are located far apart and in a noisy environment, so from signal integrity consideration i used the lowest standrard rate.

the terminals are "slaves" they only respond when the master addresses them, they are waiting in receive mode so there is no situation were the slaves misses their address.

Thank you very much for your time.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Regarding the routing: the digital placement report doesn't list any resource as 100% (or higher), but the PTERM count is missing. Also, when looking at the placement and the details for the UDBs, I see many man inputs and pterms.

When using the half-duplex UARTs, the same UDBs / Datapaths / PLDs are used, and their configuration is switched (by an API call). This state is probably in a control register. So any functionality now has an additional parameter (the currently enabled function). I guess that, together with the complexity of the hardware adressing, this makes one part of the UART too complex.

But I guess Cypress could solve that mystery, since from the data sheet it should work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks hli, I will file a case on this hope to solve this.

0 Likes
JiGi_284761
Level 4
Level 4
Welcome!

Hi. Nice neat program.

I do a lot of rs485 both long distance and very noisy environment. Your really low baud rate will cause you many problems.

If you cant mount your device on an ac drive, run the cable thru a kilometer of cable within a cable bundle and have it work well at 9600, then something else is wrong.

You have delays in the 1/4 second range....... Why??

You don't need  both DE and RE pins. Just tie them together and go high on transmit.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi scas, 

i cant change the cables...

My system connected in parallel  to a network of p2p lines that used to broadcast sound signal.

the system monitors the lines untill the broadcast is over

and then wait for a few seconds to make sure the broudcast is finished.

only then it moves from tri state to tx\rx mode so i cant connect

DE and RE...

Hope it makes sens to you now

What do you mean  "mount ac drive"?

and why slow rate will cause problems? It worked well on 1km lines.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

Here is the answer to the case i have opened:

Hello Shimon,

Here is the reason for this problem.

There isn't that much logic difference between Half Duplex and Full Duplex. The same basic logic needs to be done. Because the Half Duplex only has to either do transmit or receive at a specific time that allows us to use fewer datapaths for the Half Duplex mode. Basically we reuse the same datapath to do both transmit and receive. That does however require more complex control logic to switch between the two modes. Macrocells are basically a count of the number of hardware signals in a design. PTerms are basically a count of the complexity of the logic in a design.

In the half duplex case we have slightly less hardware signals to control the smaller number of datapaths (we have fewer datapaths) but the logic to control that is slightly more complicated. That results in slightly fewer macrocells and slightly more PTerms. You don't really care about the number of PTerms unless it starts to exceed the number of macrocells by a factor or 2 (there are 8 PTerms available for each 4 macrocells). In the half duplex case it does, so you may not be able to use all the macrocells in a PLD due to the lack of available PTerms. Hence the error message for you.

I need to check if there is any workaround for this.

Thanks,
Keerthi

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There is a "Software Transmit UART" which doesn't need any hardware components exept the IO-Pins. Wouldn't save that your design?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, bob

I know about the sw transmit uart

but it's no good to my use because

a. I want to parallel the sending and receiving as much as I can, in the sw version I will need to wait for the end of the transmit.

b. the minimum baude rate  is 9600, and I need to work with slower rates

c. I can't muliplex the sw uart, the output goes directly to the pin.

d. and most importent the API is very minimal, there is no adderessing mode 

thanks, shimon

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Software UART does not offer 110 baud nor does it have APIs to control the clock or baudrate.

From the datasheet -

The supported baud rates are achieved using a combination of pin writes and software

delays, implemented with the CyDelay function. If the CPU clock is changed from the

configured frequency, then the CyDelayFreq API must be called before any

data transmission

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes