RPi WiFi USB Hub with WICED?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is this new Raspberry Pi WiFi dongle (with USB), promised as WICED device.

There is statement on online shop site as:
"Additionally, the specification includes support for Broadcom WICED SENSE functionality with an optional Bluetooth 4.1 dongle."

What does it mean?
Please, could the WICED community elaborate if WICED is stated on package - there is WICED inside?
What would be needed to have also BLE and WICED (Smart) running on Raspberry Pi?
Why do I need anything in addition if the WICED logo tells me it is already supported?

(WICED is BLE for me, WICED WiFi is different for me. If I see WICED - I expect to get BLE with it. Or is just WICED Smart = BLE?).

I guess, just WICED WiFi, not WICED Smart (BLE) is ment.

How to upgrade later to WICED SENSE?
What does WICED SENSE mean here? I thought there is a WICED SENSE Kit, for mobile sensors.
a) could such a WICED SENSE Kit, BLE device, be connected to this WICED WiFi dongle (needs BLE as well !)?
b) or even more: can the Raspberry Pi with this WICED dongle act as a mobile WICED SENSE (sensor) device?

c) Which SW, tools will come to Raspberry Pi, e.g. WICED SDK, so that WICED SENSE Apps can be developed with Raspberry Pi?

Thank you for any help to get a clue.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Broadcom USB WiFi Hub for IOT supports the Raspberry Pi. As stated in the description - "Additionally, the specification includes support for Broadcom WICED SENSE functionality with an optional Bluetooth 4.1 dongle." - with an optional Bluetooth 4.0/4.1 dongle (some of which are available on Amazon and other online retailers using the BCM20702 chipset) - you can connect the WICED SENSE to the Raspberry Pi and create a IOT hub. Software support for the sensors on the WICED SENSE for the Raspberry Pi is being worked on and will released soon.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

"WICED" is a trademark name for two different platforms:

WICED Wi-Fi

WICED Smart (BLE)

WICED Sense is a new sensor rich Eval Platform for WICED Smart, which accompanies our existing development board, the BCM92073X_LE_KIT.

All of these are described here in the new Mass Market Product Guide: 2014 Mass Market Product Selector Guide

I believe the confusion may be centered around a Broadcom USB WiFi HUB for IOT.  I will have to ask around internally and see where that product stands with regards to support for the WICED, WICED Smart and Raspberry Pi platforms.

At this point in time, Raspberry Pi is not supported within the community here, but there have been internal discussions about the possibility of moving the product (and several others) over into Mass Market.  We will definitely update the forum when and if that happens.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Broadcom USB WiFi Hub for IOT supports the Raspberry Pi. As stated in the description - "Additionally, the specification includes support for Broadcom WICED SENSE functionality with an optional Bluetooth 4.1 dongle." - with an optional Bluetooth 4.0/4.1 dongle (some of which are available on Amazon and other online retailers using the BCM20702 chipset) - you can connect the WICED SENSE to the Raspberry Pi and create a IOT hub. Software support for the sensors on the WICED SENSE for the Raspberry Pi is being worked on and will released soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally got a Broadcom USB WIFI hub on my desk.

Just wondering if there is any driver support for windows/ mac or any plans to do so?

Do let me know when your software support for SENSE is ready.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently no Windows and Mac OSX support planned.