Miniprog3 Alternative

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I need to acquire a few Miniprog3 programmers for PSoC3, but I don't want to spend $89 per device. Is there a cheaper alternative to programming a custom PSoC3 PCB? The boards already have a 10pin programming connector for the miniprog3.   
0 Likes
26 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi jram   
You may use SWD program/debugger instead of JTAG-programmer.   
Some interesting Link   

Serial Wire Debug (SWD) using USB I/O pins in PSoC 3/5   
http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=43483   

PSoC Programming/Debugging via SWD at USB pins   
http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&rID=82780   

Production Programming Vendors:   
http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2543   

AN73054 - PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5LP Programming Using an External Microcontroller (HSSP)   
http://www.cypress.com/?rID=57435   
This can make it yourself.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

jram,

If what you need is to program several boards, you might want to take a look at the productions programmers linked by PSOC73

On the other hand if you need several PSOC3 programmers to do in field programming you have 3 options:

1) Use a bootloader, it could be UART / SD card based / I2C , etc. You will need to initially burn the bootloader at production time with a miniprog3 or production programmer.

2) Develop a HSSP. it means include on your board another mcu to act as the programmer using any interface you like. the disadvatage is that you will need to modify your board.

3) Use a FX2LP based programmer. This is what we use at our university, we made a few boards with a FX2 chip + alitle EEPROM and voltaje level translator for like 15bucks. and use that to program our boards thought the 10-pin debug connectors (you could also use the EZ-USB FX2LP boards sold on ebay for $12)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi zeta-san   
When chose case(3), use FX2LP board.   
How to get the program for the board? and Where you get the original hex code?   
Is there proper program code in Cypress site?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The firmware ( .hex file ) can be found inside PSOC Programmer folder, I dont have it istalled on this computer right now so I can't tell the exact path but let me know if you can't find it and I'll reply later

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I don't want to include any extra hardware on my pcb. Thus, i need an external programmer that will connect to the 10-pin header. I don't need production programmers. I simply need a few programmers to keep at different locations or take with me. Here's a EZ-USB FX2LP board from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CY7C68013A-56-FX2LP-EZ-USB-2-0-Developement-Board-Module-EEPROM-Logic-Analyz... Is that what I'm looking for?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Ok. After digging some more I was able to find this post on creating a programmer. http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3105   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi zeta-san   
I see, It is Service directory DVKProg_fw.hex   
I've been forgotten it.   
Thank you.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PSoC73 

Yeah that's the file. it is inside the "service" folder

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

jram

Yeah that's a post I made 2 years ago, just keep in mind the limitations of that design like it being only 3.3v IO with no input protection.

Using the ebay board you posted, identify the pins used for SWD ( PD0, PD1, PB2) and connect them to your board but if you need them on different locations I think it will be more convenient to design your board.

if you are building your own board based on the DP post, I would sugest to modify the files to add better power management and voltaje translation and using a 10pin header to directly connect it to the 10pin connector on your board or a 10pin flat cable that makes handling much easier. Please post back any improvements you make.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Zeta,

i ordered such board from ebay last month and tried to program my PSoC4 (the PSOC5LP on my pioneer kit seems to be broken with kitprog, it just flashes fast.. But HSSP programming works).

I have installed the generic cypress driver for the board and can load the different firmwares with the cyconsole, then the "fx2lp" board is registered as programmer on the Cypress programmer software (just like described in the dangerousprototypes article you wrote).

But when i try to flash any PSoC4 i just get a yellow busy, nothing happens. I have also tried it with a single PSoC4 on a DIP adapter.

Connected pins:

PD0 - connected to SWDIO of PSoC4

PD1 - connected to SWDCLK of PSoC4

PB2 - connected to XRES of PSoC4

I have even tried to connect GND and VCC but that doesn't change a thing.

Do you have an idea what's wrong here? Which OS do you use for flashing?

Bye

Björn

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi teruna   
This is out of point, I think anyway.   
Have you try both programming mode. Power cycle, Reset mode?   
Of course, when reset mode, add external Vdd and no Vdd for power cycle mode.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I have not tried it with a PSOC4, I have a few psoc4 chips and a pioneer kit here but haven't had the time to play much with them. I'll take a look at it over the weekend.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I see some potencial problems, For starters GND pin MUST be connected, both boards need the same ground level.   
Second VCC must be the same 3.3 I would try first powering the board with the 3.3v from the programmer.   

Please tell me what was the file name of the Hex file you uploaded to the fx2lp dev kit?   
What is the name of the programmer in windows device manager?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hm, i think this form post will again doesn't have a line break and i don't know why... Zeta, some Information about the test: OS: Windows 8 Pro, Build 9200, 64bit (Testmode without driver-signing booted) Driver: Cypress USB Generic Driver (3.4.6.000, 17.06.2011, Cypress) CyConsole USB: 3.4.7 Firmware file: FTK_5_simfw.hex (as mentioned at the dp article) Cypress PSoC Programmer: 3.18.1 FX2LP found as: FirstTouch5/303534303034 PSoC Programmer says: Powered, Connected When trying to flash i get just the "busy" in yellow on the top right. Then after a while i get: "Fail", "Not Powered" with the error message: FAILED! PSoC device is not acquired! Check connection of the chip to the programmer Please check the following items: ...   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

The error message seems to tell that it is not getting any responce from the chip it the chip were not supported it would complain in a different way. I would first check power connections. 

To discard power issues or interference with the psoc5 in the pioneer kit make it work with your breakout board first. So, on your breakout boards make sure the GND and power pins are properly connected (test for solder bridges, etc) then connect SWD pins GND and VCC (all 5 pins) to the programmer so the chip get powered from the programmer

second Try the fx2lp_fw.hex and DVKProg_5_simfw.hex thouse are the ones that worked more reliably for me on PSOC3/psoc5

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, the posts without line breaks or formatting are because of the forum software, cypress has said they will improve it but has been like that for more than a year. Chrome seems to be the one that show that problem more often so in the mean time try using a different browser like firefox or IE.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

some news and progress for everyone who is interested.

I have found two reasons why i had problems to flash my PSoC4 on the breadboard/selfmade dip adapter.

1. the worst case dumb reason ever: i tried to program a CY8C4245PVI with a generated CY8C4245AXI hex (D'oh!).. Adding comments to the HSSP code is very helpful...

2. a capacitor between vcc+gnd was missing, i had some problems with the HSSP steps, now every step is completed

In summary that means i can program my PSoC4 (pioneer kit and self-made dip adapter) via HSSP reliable. I tried it with the CY8CKIT-050 and the onboard pioneer kit PSoC5 via bootloadable, both are working now.

The interesting case is that the FX2LP board from ebay still does not work. I have some ideas why:

1. it's a problem with the drivers and windows 8/64bit (maybe timing issues?)

2. it's just borked and broken.

Due to the fact that the HSSP is well documented (thank you Cypress!) and working and it's possible to do it with several uC's i'll try to "port" the PSoC5 HSSP code to a PSoC4.

As the result i want to create a bootloadable which can also be loaded to a PSoC4 (pioneer kit) with hex upload via uart or usb-hid and some sort of console tool and maybe a C# gui to upload via this HSSP programmer. I am not sure if this is possible but it should be. This will maybe be an alternative to the FX2LP stuff. I am not sure about the progress and if i can ever release it but it's something i will work on.

Bye

Björn

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Thanks for your efforts, teruna   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Zeta,

Can you tell me more detail programmer operation about USB console software, because I always unsuccessful programming, using the CY7C68013A Logic-Analyzer PCB from purchase eBay.

I have installed the USB console 1.7.0 and Psoc Programmer 3.20. I want to programming DVKProg_5_simfw.hex file.   
0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

It might be helpful if you tell us _what_ exactly goes wrong. Just a 'it doesn't work' gives no hints...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My steps are as follows:

(1) CY7C68013A Logic-Analyzer PCBA change a new AT24C16 I2C EEPROM.

(2 )PC connector the CY7C68013A Logic-Analyzer PCBA by USB

(3) Run "USB console"

(4) Click "Options" > "EZ USB Interface"

(5) Click Device, Chose "Cypress EZ-USB FX2LP No EEPROM(3.4.5.000)"

(6) Click "S EEPROM", Chose "DVKProg_5_simfw.hex" file

(7) Toggle power key, the device still "Cypress EZ-USB FX2LP No EEPROM(3.4.5.000)". It is not "DVKProg5"

What steps am I missing?

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

I'm not sure that the DVK firmware works on this board. Maybe you can try the FTK firmware, as described here: http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3105

Note that since this device has no internal flash memory / EEPROM, it needs to be reprogrammed after every powerup. What might work is to change the VID/PID of the on-board EEPROM to match the FTK IDs, so PSoC programmer than might upload the firmware automatically.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm using LCSOFT mini board and I can program it, but not the EEPROM. How do I change the VID/PID in EEPROM?

Please describe all the steps to program EEPROM on this board.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Take a look at this thread, last comment by Bob.

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2232&rID=68290

Clearly works but not a volume production environment method, unless you

wrote some script files to change the EEPROM data in the hex file.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

A bit late but I found a procedure to use the LCSOFT board as a programmer without reloading the progarmmer software every time you switch off the board. The software is now stored in the onboard  EEPROM.

I'm using the LCSOFT board for programming my PSoC5-LP via SWD.

Take a look at: http://www.reddit.com/r/PSoC/comments/2ra6m6/programming_the_psoc_5lp_with_a_9_ebay_programmer/

Regards,

Rob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There is another solution coming soon: The CY8CKIT-059 has a sepatatable KitProg which probably can be used to program and debug all the PSoC3, 4, 4BLE and 5LP.

Bob

0 Likes