CY8CKIT-059 board info

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't been able to grab one of my own as yet, but can any one tell me if there will be 3.3V on the board, or just 5V from the USB.. 

Also, are there any specs/schematics for the board out yet?

-thx

0 Likes
11 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You can already install the required files including the schematics you'd like to study from here.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

User Guide says:

4.2.3 Power Supply System
The power supply system on this board is dependent on the source of the power. For most applications,
you can use the 5 V supply from the USB connection to power the system. You can also connect
an external power supply to the board for low-voltage applications. The kit supports the
following connections:
■ 5 V from the PCB USB
■ 1.8-5 V from a regulated supply connected to VDD
It is important to understand that this prototyping kit does not have any onboard ESD protection circuitry.
Therefore, the power source for the PSoC 5LP Prototyping Kit must be of a high quality to
ensure that the board is protected from any over-current conditions and swapped-power connections.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

There is no onboard LDO / regulator. So it runs with whatever you power it.

One caveat: VBus on the KitProg is connected, with diode D1, to Vtarget (which is the power on the target board). That means if you want to power the target board with 3.3V, you need to remove that diode, otherwise KitProg will feed your power supply backwards with 5V.

(There is nothing mentioned in the user guide whether Vtarget needs to be connected between the two boards for programming to work - it might be that KitProg needs to know the target power supply voltage)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the information and pointers everyone...

However, I was interested in using it with a stand alone USB wart and some 3V peripherals..  so Plan B..

I'll have to save it for the next project 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assume you know about:

www.powerfulboard.com 

We cannot match the price but on the other hand we have them available for immediate shipment.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Consider making up a comparison table for decision makers.

Regartds, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Has it got debugging capabilities over USB? An UART-USB bridge? Does the board need a Bootloader to get programmed over USB? I'm very interested!

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Bob, here are some links to answer your questions -

http://www.powerfulboard.com/

http://www.screencast.com/t/tcuMUDxn

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

About Powerfulboard - www.powerfulboard.com 

A schematic is available for download from the website.

Yes it has debugging capabilites over the USB connection.  There is an FX2 chip on the board to make this happen. 

I will attempt a comparison later. We have been shipping these boards for several years.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

As requested  I have prepared a comparison of the CY8CKIT-059 with the Powerfulboard equivalent.  We also offer a PSoC3 based board..  I will add other items to the comparison list if someone suggests them here.

See:

http://www.powerfulboard.com/CY8CKIT-059 

Hope this helps.
Bob M (not Marlow)

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi .   For an easy choice of supplies,  remove R20, add a female SIL connector on J4 (see picture added)

To power a 3.3V application from the USB,  insert 2 serial wired 1N4001 diodes in J4

To work with 5V application, set a wire in J4

To work with external supply, nothing in J4

I have worked for hours with a 3.3V touch-screen, the unaccurate 3.3V supply don't bother

Bye

0 Likes