Cypress lowers PSOC4 design specs on the fly

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone noticed that Cypress has changed the max sample rate of the ADC_SAR_SEQ between version V1.10 and V2.00?

With V1.10 and with AVDD ref, the max sample rate was 1Msps.

With V2.00 and with AVDD ref, the max sample rate has been dropped to 500Ksps, with no way of overriding that limit.

Even the document at http://www.cypress.com/?docID=4830 , dated 26 March, still states the max sample rate is 1Msps. Apparently "The document was not updated correctly to reflect this change.".

This means that none of my designs can be updated.

This is really pissing me off. Cypress just shrugs and less me to redo my designs.

I guess this is the danger of "soft" processors, the manufacturer can retroactively remove features with no thoughts about consequence to the customer.

0 Likes
9 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

You might file a CASE but I believe cause was settling time to

12 bits for a 5V step input could not be met.

To create a technical or issue case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

I see that a choice of external Vref will allow 1 Msps (this probably is no

relief for you) -

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have filed a case. There they told me to redo my projects.

We have not had problems. We need speed more than absolute accuracy.

And my feeling is that you then add a warning that performance might be degraded at high sample speeds. You do not cut of the customers foot just because the shoe you have made is half a size too small.

My designs have been signed off. I do not have the time to retune all the PID loops because the timing is changed.

Cypress has caused concern with my employer that chips change specification a year into our designs, so we have started looking at other CortexM0 suppliers with a "fixed" architecture.

Sorry about my venting, but Cypress' arrogance is shocking.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Maybe no consolation but over 40 years of industry involvement I

have witnessed vendors who did not believe in full disclosure until

caught with their britches down. Fortuately most of that seems to

have been put behind us.

Sorry to lose you as a customer.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You might try this settings. IMO running at 36MHz.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

He wants his reference to be Vdd, not 1.024 V. The specs are

changed and are -

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Actually the revision notes for SAR_MUX_ADC_P4 data sheet say in version 2.09 that the maximum sample rate has been lowered for Vdda refs.

What you can do, actually, is to just use an older version of the component (or maybe of Creator). These are lesser known features of Creator - Creator versions can be installed in parallel, and the old versions of components are still part of it. So iof you depend on a certain behavior of a component in a certain component that gets changed, you just keep using the old one.

0 Likes
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Hello!

We are sorry that this change impacted you so badly. Unfortunately we discovered that, with the non-bypassed Vdda-based reference voltages, the SAR was out of spec at 1Msps. We did not arbitrarily de-spec the device (but I can see that it looks that way). In this situation we were required to make the change to the component so that new uses would not allow an out-of-spec use case. That had a bad impact on existing uses (your situation) where rate and range were more important than accuracy. Again, I apologise for that and we need to look at how we communicate changes like this in the future. Ideally, of course, we won't have to do them at all.

Back-revving the component, as hli proposes, will, indeed, allow you to build the configuration you need but it will not have the (previously) claimed accuracy.

-- Mark.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Since I never down-graded a component: is there a guide how to do that?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

A post you answered not too long ago -

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2492&rID=101085&start=21

Oh, I did not think of using the upgrade dialog to downgrade a component 🙂 But its easier I guess than replacing it (since it should retain the configuration, if any).

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes