Using Op-Amps correctly in PSoC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I have specified the following circuit (see image attached) in PSoC Creator. I have selected a PSoC 3 device (CY8C3866AXI-040).

I wonder if someone at the forum can help me answering some questions:

(1) What's wrong with this circuit?

(2) Why can I not use resitors freely in combination with the provided op-amps in a PSoC device?

(3) Are the op-amp components using a positve and negative power supply, e.g. +VSS and -VSS by default?

(4) What does the: "Opamp_1.Vminus" connected to signal "Net_13" have mismatching types. Error message mean?

If anyone has any suggestions on the correct way to implement this circuit in PSoC please let me know, any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Antonio.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Antonio,

Here are some important points to be highlighted with regard to the design you have specified:

• If you want to build any circuit using the opamp with external passive components such as resistors, capacitors, etc; the inverting, non-inverting and output terminals should be brought out via analog pins. The pins are not required only if the connections are to be done internally to PSoC.
  •     
  • When using opamp in voltage follower mode, there is an option to do so internally. There is no need to bring the terminals out on pins and then shorting externally. This will save two pins and also eliminate the path resistance involved in bringing the terminals out via analog pins.
  •     
  • When Vref is to be brought out externally, then it is mandatory to buffer it. Hence, an opamp in voltage follower mode will be consumed in this process. If Vref is to be used internally, there is no need to buffer it.
  •    

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies I realized I included the incomplete circuit. Find attached the updated one.

Also, question I meant negative and positive power supply +VDD and -VDD instead of VSS.

Antonio.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Antonio,

Here are some important points to be highlighted with regard to the design you have specified:

• If you want to build any circuit using the opamp with external passive components such as resistors, capacitors, etc; the inverting, non-inverting and output terminals should be brought out via analog pins. The pins are not required only if the connections are to be done internally to PSoC.
  •     
  • When using opamp in voltage follower mode, there is an option to do so internally. There is no need to bring the terminals out on pins and then shorting externally. This will save two pins and also eliminate the path resistance involved in bringing the terminals out via analog pins.
  •     
  • When Vref is to be brought out externally, then it is mandatory to buffer it. Hence, an opamp in voltage follower mode will be consumed in this process. If Vref is to be used internally, there is no need to buffer it.
  •    
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The opamps in PSoC 3 has direect connections to dedicated pins.

For example:

• opamp0 = P0[1]
  •     
  • opamp1 = P3[6]
  •     
  • opamp2 = P0[0]
  •     
  • opamp3 = P3[7]
  •    

If you assign these as output pins, then the design will be optimized. You can refer to the Technical Reference Manual for more details on the analog routing. The diagram below shows the direct connections of the Opamps.

lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sorry, the image was not pasted in the previous post. I am attaching the image of opamp analog routing.

The snap-shot of the modified project is also attached.

In the Pins section of the .cydwr file, choose the output pins from amongst P0[0], P0[1]. P3[6] and P3[7].

The ground at the non-inverting input terminal of Opamp_1 can be selected as Internal by using Internal Vref configured as Vssa (GND); or Externally grounding it by connecting an analog pin to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info dasq.

I think for my circuit it will be better to route things internally using the op-amp in follower mode.

I still have a question regarding the power supply for the op-amps. Are the op-amps in PSoC 3 single power supply or dual power supply?

Cheers,

Antonio.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Antonio,

The opamps used in PSoC are powered using single power supply.

The minimum voltage possible cannot be less than ground (Vss = 0V).

The peak to peak voltage of the input signal should be within the Vdd - Vss supply range. If the output voltage of an opamp tends to go beyond this range, then the waveform gets clipped.

If you are intending to use a varying signal, then make sure that the analog ground (Vssa) is between Vdd and ground so that the signal is not clipped.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

how to make analog ground in between vdd and vss ?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Some ways to make an artificial analog ground -

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Here is a method to bias both inputs to mid supply and AC couple input -

0 Likes
lock attach
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

If you need to maintain DC coupling some methods to offset

input signals, attached.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

Do the Op-amp can suddenly malfunction? 

I used an amplification design and yesterday it stops working properly .

One of the Op-amp (3) output was "jumped" to swing around 5V instead of 2.5V. No changes made.

The total output backs to swing around 2.5 V but still there is some problem with the voltage bias .....

What it can be? Did someone met this problem?

Thanks!!

Anna

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Connected a test circuit...

P_01 = 3.76 V

P_36 = 5V

???????????????????????

I was lost.....................

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9