Embedded PSoC programming

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ruha_285291
Level 2
Level 2

This may be a stupid question but as I am good at stupid here goes.

If I have a design in which I have embedded a PSoC5 device, is there any way that I can program the embeddid chip using the PSoC development kit (CY8CKIT-050) that I already have or do I need a dedicated programmer?

I would like to use the kit if possible as I am looking at a small project but don't have the budget to buy a programmer.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
12 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There are principially two solutions

A MiniProg3 can be used as programmer, debugger or I2C bridge for CapSense tuning and is not too expensive.

A CYC8KIT-059 has a snap-off programmer that can be used for the same purposes but has restrictions:
AFAIK 5V only (no regulator on programmer) and not yet a delivery date after the first rush, so you would have to wait until you can get one.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The Kit-050 has an onboard programmer/debugger (Cypress USB chip based), which lets you program the PSoC 5 without connecting Miniprog3. This programmer debugs at a speed of 1.5mHz. The kit also allows the user to program and debug using the Miniprog3.

You could hack the 050 board and use its USB program/debug interface to program another chip,

but thats a tad ugly. Or replicate that interface on a proto board.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The CY8CKIT-059, power =

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I don't see how to connect the snap-off programmer to USB and to a voltage between 1.7 and 5V at the same time to program an attached target board. The Prototype kit may run at a different voltage, but that is not the intention.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

You might be right, I will file a CASE on this and clear this up.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Results from Tech Support -

Thank you for contacting Cypress Technical Support.

Since there is no option for changing the voltage to the device by jumper wires, it can only program at 5V.

The device is hardwired to work at only 5V(Vddd= 5V). One way to make this device work at 3.3V is to snap

the device and connect the SWD interface of 3V to the device directly. Kindly let us know if you want more

clarification.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I program PSoC5LP and PSoC4 in system using the PSoC4 pioneer and also the cheap-as-dirt FX2LP breakout boards that you can find on ebay/aliexpress for under $10. You don't need an expensive programmer to do this at all.

With the PSoC4 Pioneer you need to disconnect the on-board target PSoC from the on-board programmer PSoC. You need to also be mindful because the programmer PSoC looks at the (I think) target PSoC reset line and if it's not high when the pioneer board is powered, the programmer PSoC will enter bootloader mode.

0 Likes
ruha_285291
Level 2
Level 2

Many thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions, all the comments have given me plenty to think about.

I really appreciate all of your time and support.

0 Likes
ruha_285291
Level 2
Level 2

Many thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions, all the comments have given me plenty to think about.

I really appreciate all of your time and support.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Glad to have been of assistance.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

If you do not have enough money for the programmer, but there CY8CKIT-003 (014) or CY8CKIT-030 (050), then they can be easily converted into a programmer.
I did so:  http://mylab.wmsite.ru/moi-razrab/cypress-psoc/programmatory-iz-kitov/
You can even turn it into a Saleae Logic if you know how to solder and program EEPROM AT24LC02
it's here.
unfortunately it is in Russian

0 Likes
JeCo_264681
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted
      I program my CY8CKIT-050 all the time using a USB to mini-B cable. Be sure to plug the cable into the USB socket closer to the edge of the board.   

Another way to go is to get the Schmartboard PSoC 5LP Development Board (with Boot loaded PSoC 5LP IC) product ID  710-0008-05 . You can order it directly from Schmartboard. It is $35.   

The Schmartboard is not as robust as the Cypress 050 kit but you can place it on a breadboard and wire external LEDs or other components as needed.  You might have a small learning curve in using the Bootloader and Bootloadable modules but they eliminate the need for a programmer. There are some Cypress video tutorials on using the bootloader as well as an example project in PSoC Creator.   

Check out the CY8CKIT-059 as danaaknight suggested. It's only $10 on pre-order. I hear it should be available for shipment later this month.   

Jerry   
0 Likes