URGENT:Number of Operational Amplifiers Available on PSOC 5

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi i have to make band pass filter, zero cross detector and other analog circuits on a single psoc chip for Medium Attachment Unit. Please let me know the number of operational amplifiers available on a single psoc chip whether it is a psoc-1,3 or 5

Thank you.

0 Likes
25 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

psoc_creator is very smart. I do what I need. He tells me that he can.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

For PSoC3/5, the biggest one of the family contains 4 op-amps. But there are analog bloacks such as PGAs as well. 

For PSoC1 there are no opamp as such, all ananlog components are using SC bloack.

I think you can have 2 INSAMP or a total of 4 PGA/AMPINV and 4 filters. However, the actual numbers aviable de[pends on  the configuration/arrangment of annalog blocks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chetan,

PSoC3/5 has 4 dedicated Operational Amplifiers.

You can use external components such as resistors and capacitors to form filters.

There is also SC/CT (Switched Capacitance/ Continuous Time) block which has 4 opamps but with arrays of switches, capacitors and resistors. This block can be used to form an Inverting /non-inverting Programmable Gain Amplifier (PGA), Trans-Impedance amplifier (TIA), Mixers, Sample and Hold, Track and hold, etc.

There are also 4 Comparators available.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

To sum up PSoC5/3 have opamp resources as below. 

4 Opamps:- These are naked opamps. You can be bulld any opamp circuit using external components. If to be used as follower then there is no need of external connection as there is a switch present inside PSoC3/PSoC5 to connect output and negative input terminals. 

4 SC/CT blocks:- These are opamps with bunch of resistors and capacitors around it which can be connected/disconnected to build different opamp circuits. You can configure these blocks as programmable gain amplifiers (inverting and non-inverting), mixer, sample and hold, track and hold, and Transimpedence amplifier (to measure current).

4 Comparators:- These are dedicated comparators with output as digital signal (digital low or digital high). But you can use the comparator to build a shmitt trigger using external resistors. Also, you can build opamp buffer with this comparator by using an external resistor and a capacitor. 

Thank you

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I don't see the SC/CT blocks on the Component Catalog page within PSoC Creator 2.2 .

Where can I get the SC/CT blocks to use in my design schematic?

Thanks,

Hoong Fai

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

In Creator, go to "Tools / Options", open "Design Entry / Component Catalog". Check the "Show hidden components" box. Then the internal building blocks appear (you want to get the "scblock", I think)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

But there is no datasheet for this scblock( from the component preview). anywhere we can find the information?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

But data sheet is not aviable for the scblock. Any idea when it can be found?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget the 2nd one, the sytem crashed and I think the first one is not posted. Sorry 😞

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

There are not data sheets for the internal components. You will need to look at their accompanying source code for more information.

Or you import a component using it into your project to look at an usage example:

• open your project, go to the 'components' tab in the workspace explorer
  •     
  • right click at the project, 'import component'
  •     
  • look for the component, e.g. from 'CyComponentLibrary' the component 'Mixer_v2_0'
  •    
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

To get an idea of familiy resources there are several approaches -

1) Download the top level datasheet for each familiy, and examine the summary chip specs at beginning

of data sheet.

2) Use product slector in each design tool, Creator, Designer and filter columns.

3) Brochure, to a lesser extent,     www.cypress.com/?rID=2545

4) Keep in mind many designs can "share" resources, because of analog mux capability. Or digital filter

approach for multiple filters. Sample and hold, A/D with mux on front end......

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

This for PSOC 1 but a lttle outdated -

www.psocdeveloper.com/uploads/tx_piapappnote/an2209_03.pdf

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

May I know why it is hidden?

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Because the SC/CT component are not intended to be used directly. Only the components using it are (e.g. the PGA or the Mixer).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it mean that using this component is not supported by Cypress?

ie "use at your own risk?"

If not, then I would suggest to un-hidden it and make it just like other components, and give it proper documentations.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

This is more a compatibility problem. The public components are (more or less) guaranteed to be compatible between Creator revisions, or even between devices. When switching between PSoC3, 5 and maybe even 4 you don't really need to change your component configuration, only the source code (e.g. when using DMA). But when you start using the internal building blocks, you depend on the internals of the choosen PSoC family (and, I suspect, even on the Creator version).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In that case, May be it is better not to let user use it direcly 😞

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Hli for the info on SCblock. Is there any sample projects that use SCblock?

According to PSoC TRM manual, this block is configured using SC_CR0 register. But the SCblock symbol only shows dyn_cntl input.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Some info -

www.cypress.com/

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

You might be able to use the PGAs as amplifiers, dependinh on whether they work in your circuit or not.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

If you need OpAmps for CT filter work there are solutions for both fixed G

and infinite G topologies. Read you can use a PGA in certain fixed G solutions.

However, you need to do stability analysis, and PSOC characterization not quite

there to do that. So you can do phase margin tests real time (step response) to

establish how much marging you have.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
ranac_286331
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is an old therad but I would like to use it to ask my question.

I am using CY8CKIT-050 with CY8C5868AXI-LP035 )PSOC5LP) device. I used all 4 Opamps and need another naked opamp to use it as difference amplifier with external resitors (attached figure) and then to feed it to an internal ADC.

For this purpose I want to use the opmap from a SC/CT block - it is written in the manuals that it can be configured as naked opamp. Unfortunatey neither the non-inverting PGA nor the inverting PGA components allow such configuration. 

There is also a component based on the naked opamp from the SC/CT block which implements a comparator. But this component when wired to the ADC issues and error because it expects to be connected to a digital input.

Could you please advice how I could use and SC/CT block as a naked opamp? Should I create some custom component which instantiates and SC/CT block but with the correct settings of teh registors for a naked opamp configuration? How can I do that?

Thanks!

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Using the Architecture TRM and the Register TRM you can setup the

naked OpAmp and configure it. There is a reasonable explanation

in the TRM and the specific registers are then described in detail

in the register TRM.

Essentially you write the registers to do the configuration. Note the

routing is also done by registers, their named convention begins

with SCn.....

If you need precise G or are doing a diff amp use external R's, the

internal ones have poor tolerance, see TIA specs on G accuracy.

So would severly impact CM in a diff amp.

Docs not complete so its a bit of an adventure.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

PSoC 5 has 4 op amp. You can use it according to your requirement.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

He needs more than the 4 general purpose OpAmps available in

PSOC 5LP, so the disussion is about using the embedded OpAmps.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes