PSoC Creator Schematic Questions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BeJo_335366
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am up to my elbows in a design project and so far have found PSoC Creator to be fairly productive (actually it's better than any other programmable logic vendor software I have EVER used in most respects).

I am very experienced with much more capable design tools (Altium Designer - in the interest of full disclosure I work for Altium during the day, but this post is purely to get some help with my current PSoC4 project).

I must admit I am finding the schematic editor quite limited and difficult to work with. I did eventually by trial an error figure out how to change the template to be 11x17 which is much better.

But I still have a few newb questions (hopefully there's a good answer!):

• Is it possible to have multiple sheets in one project? I cannot seem to create any other sheets but the top level.
  •     
  • Why are some document parameter fields read only? (eg. Created By - I started my design from a reference design which was created by cypress, but it's evolved to the point where I feel I can truly call it my own but I am unable to edit this field).
  •     
  • Is it possible to use an external schematic tool like Altium Designer which I am already very experienced with in order to be more productive, and then bring this in as a Verilog netlist for the project as an alternative to using the Cypress schematic editor which, to be honest, is a bit like having one hand tied behind my back?
  •     
  • What is the file format of the Psoc creator schematic editor? If it's based on ViewLogic or Mentor Logic I might be able to translate back and forth between PSOC creator and Altium Designer...
  •     
  • Does Cypress ever plan to build a plugin for AD to link it's schematic editor with PSoC Creator? (no need to answer this - it's a gentle suggestion).
  •    

Thanks!

Ben J.

0 Likes
4 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

• Is it possible to have multiple sheets in one project? I cannot seem to create any other sheets but the top level.
  •    

Yes, right click schematic tab and choose "Add Schematic Page" 

• Is it possible to use an external schematic tool like Altium Designer which I am already very experienced with in order to be more productive, and then bring this in as a Verilog netlist for the project as an alternative to using the Cypress schematic editor which, to be honest, is a bit like having one hand tied behind my back?
  •    

You can Add Existing Item to project workspace thru File menu.

OR

Yes, you can add a verilog file into the workspace. This is a cut and paste operation as opposed to

an import. Eg. add a new verilog file, and paste contents into that. But there is no direct import of an

Altium project to the best of my knowledge.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
BeJo_335366
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the answers!!! Very helpful. 

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Why are some document parameter fields read only? (eg. Created By - I started my design from a reference design which was created by cypress, but it's evolved to the point where I feel I can truly call it my own but I am unable to edit this field).

Not sure, but file a CASE on this it must be an easy change.

What is the file format of the Psoc creator schematic editor? If it's based on ViewLogic or Mentor Logic I might be able to translate back and forth between PSOC creator and Altium Designer...

Same here, ask in the CASE....

To create a technical or issue case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

The schematic file format is a .NET serialization format. So its not compatible with any other schematic editor out there. That would also be problematic, since the file needs to contains all the parameters for the components that you have in it.

0 Likes