CySmart USB Dongle firmware upgrade - HOW?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to connect to my CySmart USB Dongle (included in the Cy8CKIT-042-BLE kit) and CySmart 1.0 (for Windows) is telling me "The crrent dongle firmware version is not supported by the tool.  Download and install firmware version 1.0.0.50 or higher from <'http://www.cypress.com/Cy8CKIT-042-BLW'> and launch the tool again.

I think I found a new  hex file to download, but there's now instructions on how to "install the firmware" onto the dongle.

Can anyone provide any instructions?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Use PSOC programmer to program the dongle.

Refer section 3.6 in CY8CKIT-042 BLE kit Guide for details.

Regards,

VIKAS

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Use PSOC programmer to program the dongle.

Refer section 3.6 in CY8CKIT-042 BLE kit Guide for details.

Regards,

VIKAS

0 Likes
DiBr_284171
Level 2
Level 2
First question asked 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

You can program the CySmart  USB Dongle using the PSOC Programmer3.22.3. Insert the Dongle in a USB Port. Launch the Programmer from your Windows APPS. Under File select FileLoad... and set the path to the location to where you have the Hex file stored. For protocol use SWD. Click the Program Icon to program the Dongle.

Regards

James
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the pointers!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another engineer and I both had issues with the dongle that came in each of our kits as well.  I wrote up some instructions with screenshots that could help fix the issue, you can find them at https://www.eewiki.net/display/Wireless/Fixing+Connection+Issues+between+the+Cypress+CySmart+Softwar....

I hope the link helps, best of luck.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much!!!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't be surprised/discouraged if the first time through the KITPROG update procedure you get a failure -
that happened each time I tried to install and update the KITPROG on a new USB Dongle or CYCKIT-042-BLE board.
Just run the KITPROG update a second time, and it will complete normally.
You will need to update the KITPROG programmer firmware on both the USB Dongle and CYCKIT-042-BLE board,
BEFORE you will be able to update the TARGET firmware on  both the USB Dongle and CYCKIT-042-BLE board.

I believe the first failure is due to the device enumerating incorrectly during the update procedure somehow.
Don't worry, the updates only takes a few minutes, and work very reliably after the first failure & update pass.
@PatternAgents

0 Likes