Capsense Manual Tuning CapSense Over MiniProg3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 50 questions asked

Hi,

I am wondering if I can manually tune the CapSense in my custom board over the MiniProg3.  Do I have to solder wires onto pins that can be used as I2C, or can the Debug lines be used?  Please let me know if anyone has done this before.  I am using the example program, and cannot figure out how to get the tuner connected to my board.

Thank you,

Tom

0 Likes
13 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This might help -

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2232&rID=53237

From Miniprog3 guide -

3.1.4 I2C
A common serial interface standard is the I2C standard. It is mainly used for communication between
microcontrollers and other ICs on the same board, but can also be used for intersystem
communications. MiniProg3 uses an I2C multimaster host controller that allows the tool to exchange
data with I2C-enabled devices on the target board. For example, this feature may be used to tune
the CapSense® designs.
When MiniProg3 is configured to I2C protocol mode, MiniProg3 enables internal 5.6-K pull-up
resistors on the SDA and SCL lines.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I read throught that post, thank you for the link.  The System tab looks very different now, and there are no provisions for turning off the debug ports so that I can use my debug connection for I2C.  Any idea how to do this in the new Creator?

Thank you,

Tom

0 Likes
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5

Never mind, just switch to GPIO...

0 Likes
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5

It would appear that I cannot use P3[2] or P3[3] for I2C.  I guess I will have to solder some leads onto the chip at P3[0] and P3[1].  Would be nice to use the programming port for CapSense tuning as well.  Can I route them internally to the SCB?

Tom

0 Likes
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5

I have lines soldered to P3[2] and P3[3] directly and I still cannot get MiniProg to connect to the I2C component, using Cypresses own example program.  I have tried pull up resistors and no pull up resistors.

Has anyone actually done this successfully?

I am about to admit defeat about being able to do this and just try to mess around with it and forget about the tuner, very frustrating.

Thank you,
Tom

0 Likes
bharadhwajas_91
Employee
Employee
First like received First like given

Hi Tdvdesign,

Please contact Cypress Techincal support for resolving our issues.

Go to Cypress.com-->Support and community-->Technical support.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

When you post your CASE just point to this thread.

To create a technical or issue case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has their been any more information on this issue?

I am also encountering this problem. I am able to acquire the I2C address in BCP for the 4200 BLE Dev Kit I have but not with a custom board with the same PSoC device/IC when using the same example project from Cypress with the necessary modification for the pinouts and all. For the schematic/circuitry of the custom board I have, I have a 10K pull up resistor going to both I2C SDA and SCL pins. Could it be possible that these 10K resistors I have along with the 5.6K pull up resistors from the programmer could be affecting my I2C connection?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Resistors fine, no problem with the values you have.

Have you looked at sda, scl with a scope just to verify you are

getting logic levels that conform to PSOC and slave specs ?

Consider posting the schematic.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok great. I haven't looked at it on a scope/logic analyzer as yet - will attempt to get one soon - but I had just used the SCB_EzI2CGetAddress1() function to check the address and it retrieved the correct I2C address. Is that a good check in itself to tell if the I2C connection and logic levels are ok or is that more of a "software check"?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using the MiniProg3 to program/debug my board. Should The SWDIO and SWDCLK pins on that are connected to the programmer be connected to the I2C pins of the 4200 BLE chip that were selected in my pinout mapping or is this "connection"/link all done internally to allow the Tuner to communicate with the board via the I2C bus?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Ok great. I haven't looked at it on a scope/logic analyzer as yet - will attempt to get one soon - but I had just used the SCB_EzI2CGetAddress1() function to check the address and it retrieved the correct I2C address. Is that a good check in itself to tell if the I2C connection and logic levels are ok or is that more of a "software check"?

Thats a pretty good check, but never hurts to look at signal integrity.

As far as a cheap good logic analyzer complete with serial decode -

www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-Logic-Analyzer-Device-Set-USB-Cable-24MHz-8CH-24MHz-for-ARM-FPGA-/111540669...

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dana and yes that's true. I managed to get hold of a logic analyzer 🙂 and saw something unexpected with the MiniProg3 to begin with. The signals in the attached screenshot show the signals from the SWDIO (SDATA) and SWDCLK(SCLK) signals on the MiniProg3 from the 10-pin and 5-pin debug connectors. I am using the 10-pin connector to program and debug my board. I expected to see some form of activity on the SWDIO(sdata) and SWDCLK(sclk) lines of this 10-pin connector when I hit "Start" in the CapSense Tuner but saw none. Instead, I'm seeing activity on those similarly labelled lines on the 5-pin debug connector (SDATA & SCLK). Since nothing is connected to that 5-pin connector, that would explain why I'm getting the I2C read error, but the same SWDIO & SWDCLK signals are on the 10-pin connector as well, so I figured that should suffice.

So my take on this is that the signals being directed through the MiniProg3, although each connector has similar connections, the signals aren't always the same, if any at all - maybe in the event we chose to program 2 devices at a time with the one programmer (?). Should this be the case? Especially in the case of the CapSense Tuner, does it only work with the 5-pin debug connector? I ask this due to this document I found: www.cypress.com/ --> Pg. 6 - Even though it is a very old document and refers to PSoC 3 and 5, I figure it could still apply in some way or another, but it seems to imply that I should use the 5 pin connector for the Tuner (maybe that has changed, maybe not...). I would really appreciate some clarification on all this.

0 Likes