Digital Microphone w/ PSoC 4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to interface digital mic with PSoC 4 and send decibel level to UART. The datasheet and examples are not geared to the PSoC 4 - i.e. no rx/tx DMA etc.

Video and datasheet www.cypress.com/

Example project but w/ PSoC 5LP www.element14.com/community/thread/28830/l/psoc-4-pioneer-kit-community-project102-usb-audio-using-t...

I have available both a PDM mic as well as an i2c mic store.invensense.com/datasheets/invensense/INMP441.pdf and can use either.  Just assuming the i2s mic will be easier?

One issue seems to be the clock - max audio sampling in the i2c - PSoC 4 seems to be 96kHZ while microphone min. is .5 MHz. Seems like this can't be right or I am missing something?

Any similar projects or guidance on the clock issue (or other thoughts) are much appreciated.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The sample rate of your I2C-mic will be quite less than 0.5Msps, I presume that it will be in the order of 20ksps, 40ksps when stereo.

The PSoC4 I2C max bit rate is 1Mbps which will be something like 100ksps (8 bit samples), quite sufficent for your application to sample and calculate min/max.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The mike interface specs -

At 24 bit 20 Khz spec makes sense.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bob and Dana - Thanks for the help. I still can't get it to work. I've attached a file. If you could take a look I'd greatly appreciate.

Thanks

D.K.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does your project started working? i am also facing the same issue

0 Likes

Perhaps the PDM_Microphone project for PSoC3 / 4/5 from  Krishna   will help you

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for your response but since i am using i2s (SPH0645LM4H-B) microphone so this will not work here, i found out that code given by the d.k..willardson is of my use. but can we really do that thing without using DMAs. and if yes  what is the problem with code given above?

0 Likes