Peripheral UART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

About my BCM920732TAG_Q32 board. I'd like to evaluate peripheral UART by connecting with my laptop. I have a FTDI TTL-232R-3V3 cable. But the connector size is different from JP1 on the TAG board. Does anyone have good idea about this? Please tell me the part number suits for it if any?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Uart_firmware_ugrade uses the peripheral uart to send/receive data.

You should be able to configure that sample app to send/receive data from the PC.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw the schematic and documentation.

Peripheral UART may be P32/P33 or other ports and are not appeared on JP1.

I understand I should use some TPs on the board.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Dmiya,

Are you using the PUART as a debug port to a PC?

Please see the WICED-Smart-Hardware-Interfaces.pdf document http://community.broadcom.com/docs/DOC-1023
Page 16/28 for example low-level driver.

If you use the Test Points on the board, the GPIO Sample code shows a GPIO LED example as well.

If you want to send Printf traces to the port, please see the Forum Post for a discussion on this topic: http://community.broadcom.com/message/1760#1760

If you use peripheral UART for debug traces output you will need to modify one line in Wiced-Smart\spar\common\spar_init.c.
bleapp_trace_enable = BLE_TRACE_UART_PERIPHERAL;

Default has been changed from HCI UART because it is the only one available on the Tags.

http://community.broadcom.com/docs/DOC-1022

Page 13/16 and 15/16 show the schematics as you know.

JT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JT,

If I tried to use HCI_UART as debugging (the printout from ble_tracex) and peripheral UART as my application specific communication.

How shall I configure the UART exactly?

I've also submit one question on this forum as well. Peripheral UART programing

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JT and all,

I tried to compare the behavior of debugging UART redirection, and different result was found between blecen.c and hello_sensor.c

1. hello_sensor.c: changing the variable 'bleapp_trace_enable' to BLE_TRACE_UART_PERIPHERAL at spar_init.c (wiced-smart\spar\common) can successfully redirect the debugging output to peripheral UART, thought there are some garbled text showing.

2. blecen.c: remove variable 'bleapp_trace_enable' setting at blecenspar.c and keep the variable setting at spar_init.c as same as case on hello_sensor.c. Then we can't see debugging output at peripheral UART.

Anyone can comment on this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Dmiya,

Please see Who manufactures the white 6-pin UART connector (labeled JP1) on the BCM920732TAG_Q32 for th e JP1 Connector Manufacturer.

JT.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JT,

To see debug printf, should I use JP1? Can I use USB(J6) for this?

I don't know how I get debug messages on TAG board.

0 Likes

The Quick Start Guide describes a method to send Printf syle debug traces over the HCI UART through the USB port to your PC: WICED Smart Quick Start Guide

Is this what you are looking for?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. This is what I'd like to know.

I had seen QSG101-R in SDK1.1.0. I didn't know the updated version.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

0 Likes

No problem.  Let us know if you need anything else.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I have the same problem and doubts. I am using tag MCB20732S and I want to use peripheral UART with uart functions, but I do not know which pins or test points I should use. Can you please help me?

Moreover, does anyone have proper schematics of that evaluation board? Schematics I downloaded from BCM website refers to wrong chip, BCM20730A, not 20732S.

0 Likes

Confused.  The TAG3 schematic is here: BCM20737TAG Board - Gerbers and Schematics

The 20737 is used.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to use 20732, not 20737. The tag I have is BCM920732TAG_Q32. The schematic included in WICED 1.1.0 SDK in WICED-Smart-SDK-1.1.0/Doc/Schematics/BCM920732TAG_Q32/BCM920732TAG_Q32_P2.pdf refers to chip BCM20730A though. Hope it is clearer now.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's wrong information I think.

I read it as BCM20732A.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not think so: open the schematic and go to any page where BCM chip is

depicted, it has label 20730.

Inviato con AquaMail per Android

http://www.aqua-mail.com

Il 26 agosto 2014 11:00:21 dmiya <admin@community.broadcom.com> ha scritto:

dmiya

replied to the discussion

"Peripheral UART"

To view the discussion, visit:

http://community.broadcom.com/message/6661?et=watches.email.thread#6661

>

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for confusing.

I mean the information in the schematic is wrong.

Your comment that the schematic says 20730 is correct.

0 Likes

This predates my tenure, so I'm not sure why the reference designator is as such, but it's an identical device to the BCM20732 (SOC).

See the HW User's Manual here as well: Hardware User Guide (SDK 1.x and TAG2 Board)

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still having no luck getting any of the puart_ functions to work. I've attached the very simple source.

I'm using the BCM92073X_LE_KIT, which has the dual-UART FTDI on it. Seeing absolutely nothing on the UART. I know I've got the COM port right and everything connected correctly because the inbound traffic light on the PUART blinks (red) when I type in my terminal emulator.

I've also tried working with debug tracing on the peripheral UART; having no luck there either, but let's solve this first/instead.

-T

0 Likes

Uart_firmware_ugrade uses the peripheral uart to send/receive data.

You should be able to configure that sample app to send/receive data from the PC.

0 Likes