iBeacon, Unique IDs

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

My customer wishes to develop a service that that will run in parallel with the iBeacon service and Battery monitor service.

This shouldn’t be a problem, since BLE supports running multiple services. Their service will have some specific characteristics (store some IDs, datetime… etc.). In essence I think they will only need to define the GATT database, they don’t need anything complicated.

They need to compile the iBeacon project which came with the SDK, but can’t do it because they seem to be missing the iBeacon libraries (there’s a note in the source file saying that those libraries are distributed only to MFi program members).

This is a blocking issue , can Broadcom assist me in getting the iBeacon libraries?

Also, they require a unique id for every hardware device, specifically, they want a combination of major and minor values on the iBeacon to form a unique identifier. They also need those exact same values in their custom service.

Is there a way for Broadcom or EBV to auto increment those values in production, or does every chip will have a unique value? They also need to have the same UUID for all the iBeacons (I assume this is not a problem).

Please Broadcom could you advise ?

Thanks

Mark

1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

My customer wishes to develop a service that that will run in parallel with the iBeacon service and Battery monitor service.

This shouldn’t be a problem, since BLE supports running multiple services. Their service will have some specific characteristics (store some IDs, datetime… etc.). In essence I think they will only need to define the GATT database, they don’t need anything complicated.

[JT] - Correct, this should NOT be a problem.  Just remember that the iBeacon protocol is a Broadcast-ONLY scenario but connections can be made during the iBeacon Advertising interval.

They need to compile the iBeacon project which came with the SDK, but can’t do it because they seem to be missing the iBeacon libraries (there’s a note in the source file saying that those libraries are distributed only to MFi program members).

This is a blocking issue , can Broadcom assist me in getting the iBeacon libraries?

[JT] - Your customer needs to be an iBeacon MFI licensee to access the libraries.  Please email me when your customer has received their iBeacon license and we will make the libraries available.

Also, they require a unique id for every hardware device, specifically, they want a combination of major and minor values on the iBeacon to form a unique identifier. They also need those exact same values in their custom service.

[JT] - Remember that the UUID + Major + Minor + Power Level is what is broadcasting.  The custom service that you mention should be possible.

Is there a way for Broadcom or EBV to auto increment those values in production, or does every chip will have a unique value? They also need to have the same UUID for all the iBeacons (I assume this is not a problem).

[JT] - The UUID can be programmed into all of the iBeacons at your factory - Not a problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

[JT] - Correct, this should NOT be a problem.  Just remember that the iBeacon protocol is a Broadcast-ONLY scenario but connections can be made during the iBeacon Advertising interval.

[JT] - Your customer needs to be an iBeacon MFI licensee to access the libraries.  Please email me when your customer has received their iBeacon license and we will make the libraries available.

[JT] - Remember that the UUID + Major + Minor + Power Level is what is broadcasting.  The custom service that you mention should be possible.

[JT] - The UUID can be programmed into all of the iBeacons at your factory - Not a problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JT,

In your email, Broadcom addresses these two programs as a single program (‘iBeacon MFi licensee”) could you  please clarify is the iBeacon a seperate program ( I guess so )

Also, my customer would like to know if they can auto-increment the major and minor values, so

Exactly what they want is to have an iBeacon with a UUID of abc123 (it’s short for the sake of brevity)
major 1, minor 1, the next iBeacon in the production line should have a UUID
abc123, major 1, minor 2 etc. I hope this is a bit clearer now.

And the last point is that they would like to simply copy those major/minor values from the iBeacon
service to their service in the GATT, is that possible?

Thanks again

Mark

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Mark,

The iBeacon License is a separate license.

After your customer received the iBeacon license, we can verify the license number and grant you access to the ibeacon libraries.

Can't talk about it on an open forum - sorry.

JT